The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm not new to owning a fish tank but just got permission at work to set up a small tank so I am looking for some advice on how to best set it up. First off I'm looking to buy a tank setup so what do you recommend for between 2.5-5 gallons?

Also what kind of plants and fish would you recommend putting in there? I know the standard thing to do is to have 1 male betta but I'm looking for something different. What about 1 African Dwarf Frog and maybe another fish or two? Or maybe 3 cories and another tank mate?

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I really like my Fluval Specs (5 and 3).

All in one except for the heater.
Very quiet (as in can't hear it)
Low light good enough for low maintenance plants like anubias, moss (several varieties), Java Fern, Bacopa, Ludwigia, Marimo, water wisteria.
Cover helps keep evaporation slightly lower rate, and decreases jumping possibility.
Overfiltered, with nice big (BIG) sponges. I threw away the carbon and doubled the ceramic biofilter.

Male Endlers? Trio? Or White Cloud Mountain minnows (don't need heater for these puppies).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your quick reply! I've heard they are good tanks. How often do you do water changes and how often? Also do you have any snails or cories or ottos as help for cleanup?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
After the cycling was done, I started doing 20-25% water changes weekly. 3/4 gallon for the Spec 3 and just about 1.5 gallons for the Spec V. Milk jugs are my friends.

I have RCS in the Spec 3
In the Spec V there's one Betta, two cories (there were 3, but one died shortly after purchase and I have not replaced, they're pretty happy even with two, amazingly), and four ramshorns. I'm sure there will be ramshorns babies eventually. There's also two White Cloud Mountain minnows on loan to another tank (to eat the nematodes that have shown up in a newly cycled tank meant for shrimp). I think that's plenty of stock for this 5.5 gallon tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts