The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So I am starting up a new 10 gallon nano tank, and I need to learn on the wealth of your collective experience. It will have crypts, anubias, and Vals with some amazon frogbit as a floater in medium light, dosing ferts and excel. My tap water comes out at around 7.1. I am in the process of getting some ADA aquasoil amazonia to lower the PH a little. The plan is to put down some egg crate, fill it with the ADA, then cap it with fine smooth gravel. I am not sure where I will end up yet, but 6.5 is my target PH. Lighting is 3 clip on lights. Filtration is an AC 20 with sponge prefilters. I will be adding inert rock and driftwood. 74 degrees F is my target temperature using a preset heater and a temperature controller.

So now that you know the specs of the tank, I am wanting to house CPD, Scarlet Badis,clown killifish, shrimp culls, Japanese trapdoor snails (since they're already in there...lol). I have no experience with any of the fish. I have been doing most of my research on the scarlet badis. It seems as though the killies and the scarlet Badis will be excellent tank mates. I am concerned with the CPD however. I have been reading and hearing mixed reviews on this combination. Some say that the CPD are too hyper for these fish, while others say that there aren't any issues. So I am asking you fine folks that have experience with these fish your opinion on the tank setup, and on the stock. Any input is very much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking you time to help me out. You RAWK planted tank!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am wanting to house CPD, Scarlet Badis,clown killifish, shrimp culls, Japanese trapdoor snails
I can already see some problems here.

Scarlet Badis are best left for "species only" tanks as other tank mates, especially the CPD's will spook them into hiding, and eventual not feeding.

Also they have specialized dietary needs unless you are getting from a local source. Wild specimens are stubborn and need to be fed small meaty foods and slowly weaned onto Flake.

Clown Killifish, best kept also as species only, and with a small group of 8 or more. Having just one or two would not be good.

CPD's would be good, get a large group for the best behaviour and coloration.

Gary

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey everyone!

So I am starting up a new 10 gallon nano tank, and I need to learn on the wealth of your collective experience. It will have crypts, anubias, and Vals with some amazon frogbit as a floater in medium light, dosing ferts and excel. My tap water comes out at around 7.1. I am in the process of getting some ADA aquasoil amazonia to lower the PH a little. The plan is to put down some egg crate, fill it with the ADA, then cap it with fine smooth gravel. I am not sure where I will end up yet, but 6.5 is my target PH. Lighting is 3 clip on lights. Filtration is an AC 20 with sponge prefilters. I will be adding inert rock and driftwood. 74 degrees F is my target temperature using a preset heater and a temperature controller.

So now that you know the specs of the tank, I am wanting to house CPD, Scarlet Badis,clown killifish, shrimp culls, Japanese trapdoor snails (since they're already in there...lol). I have no experience with any of the fish. I have been doing most of my research on the scarlet badis. It seems as though the killies and the scarlet Badis will be excellent tank mates. I am concerned with the CPD however. I have been reading and hearing mixed reviews on this combination. Some say that the CPD are too hyper for these fish, while others say that there aren't any issues. So I am asking you fine folks that have experience with these fish your opinion on the tank setup, and on the stock. Any input is very much appreciated! Thank you so much for taking you time to help me out. You RAWK planted tank!

I would leave out the Killies if you want CPDs or Scaret Badis. They are known to be aggressive and will spook the CPDs.

I respectfuly disagree with the above post. I keep CPDs with Scarlet Badis - and they get along great. The Scarlet Badis tend to stake out their own 10 x 5 section of territory and stick to it. I would not recommend more than 2 in a 10g, and be sure to provide breaks in the line of sight for the Scarlet Badis. Temp wise - I would aim for around 75-76.

be sure to get good stock with the Badis. They will need to be trained to feed frozen Brine Shrimp or Bloodworms (easy on the bloodworms though, they will get obese if given too many)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would leave out the Killies if you want CPDs or Scaret Badis. They are known to be aggressive and will spook the CPDs.

I respectfuly disagree with the above post. I keep CPDs with Scarlet Badis - and they get along great. The Scarlet Badis tend to stake out their own 10 x 5 section of territory and stick to it. I would not recommend more than 2 in a 10g, and be sure to provide breaks in the line of sight for the Scarlet Badis. Temp wise - I would aim for around 75-76.

be sure to get good stock with the Badis. They will need to be trained to feed frozen Brine Shrimp or Bloodworms (easy on the bloodworms though, they will get obese if given too many)
Thanks for the input you two!

I have see a lot of debate whether CPD's can be housed with Scarlet Badis or not. I kind of expected it to show up in this thread. I talked to my LFS guy who specializes in planted nano tanks. He said that he has kept SB, CPD's and Clown Killies successfully.

I do plan on keeping only 2 Scarlet Badis. I am shooting for a male and a female, but as I understand these fish are extremely hard to sex. So the worst case is that I end up with 2 males that have enough room and hiding places as to not bother each other too much. My LFS feeds their Scarlet Badis frozen baby brine and frozen daphnia. I planned on throwing in some golden pearls to the dietary mix and see how that goes.

I am surprised to see anyone say that clown killies are known to be aggressive. All of the info that I have read reports how peaceful these fish are towards other species. I do have a concern about feeding the clown killies though. Will they readily accept the foods that I mentioned, or do they require live food?

I do understand that Scarlet Badis and Clown Killies do best in species only tanks. I am not trying to breed anything. I am just trying to have a "relaxing" planted tank on my nightstand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.