The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip to Home Depot I found a new item in their timer isle.

7 Day, 8 Outlet Power Saving Strip Timer

Turning power off at the source can save you energy and money. With easy preset options or custom settings for each day of the week this timer can do just that. This power strip timer can reduce energy drain.

* Automate your lights and electronics
* 4 timed outlets and 4 always on outlets
* Programmable on a weekly cycle
* Automate multiple lights or devices
Here is a link. What's interesting is that this seems to have four programmable outlets. I played around with, but I am not certain whether or not the 4 outlets are independently programmable.

If they are, and IF this is a fairly reliable device, it would be ideal for us planted tankers to control lights, CO2, fans, moonlights, dosing, and such. Someone must have read the Wasser-Controller thread and drawn some conclusions. :thumbsup:

Does anyone have this unit, or any links/discussions about it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The price is great, considering you have to spend at least $9 for single output timer. If those outlets can be programmable independently, I'm in. What pisses me off with single outlet timers is that when you plug it to a power strip it takes so much space you can't plug anything in outlets surrounding the one you've plugged it in.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have a few of these, the timer controls all 4 outlets, and 4 are always on. They are great for lights, powerheads ect. If you run a "siesta" or auto doser you still need a separate timer.
You can't program the four programmable outlets separately?

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few of these, the timer controls all 4 outlets, and 4 are always on. They are great for lights, powerheads ect. If you run a "siesta" or auto doser you still need a separate timer.
I am still confused.

The four timer controlled outlets - can you program them separately? Say one is on from 7-12am and another one from 8-10am?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Whatever it is, it sure looks a lot better than the crappy Coralife ones. Thanks, I'll check it out.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for confirming that.

Well that tells me that it is just as useless as other timers with multiple timed outlets, and that the "Wasser-Controller" is still the best thing since sliced ham. :fish:

I don't get it... it would be so easy to add say 3 more relays and a function to control the different outlets. I guess there isn't much demand for it outside of our hobby.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am making my own power distribution box, gfci at the main plug, one hot and neutral coming in 10 outlets for power to the tanks all on individual timers. not too pricey either, keeping it under 50 bucks for 4 of these.

I got my idea for the item you posted when I was at depot a few weeks ago looking for timers.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I hope this timer isn't as particular about what is controlled by it as the digital Intermatic ones have been. Those little timers were ideal in every way except that they always fried themselves when a fluorescent light was being turned on and off. That made me give up on anything except mechanical timers, with the little colored stops you push in to set the on-off times. Those have been 100% reliable for me.

Still, that is a great product at a great price, and I would be using one now if I had known it existed a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There are 4 timed outlets, those outlets are all on the same timer, there is not way to time them independently.
Turning power off at the source can save you energy and money. With easy preset options or custom settings for each day of the week this timer can do just that. This power strip timer can reduce energy drain.

* Automate your lights and electronics
* 4 timed outlets and 4 always on outlets
* Programmable on a weekly cycle
* Automate multiple lights or devices
* MFG Model # : 15077
* MFG Part # : 15077

Seems like the setup is like the Coralife/Zilla one. One row of 4 is always on and the other row of 4 is the one you can program.

No I don't think you can program each one individually. I think the setting would apply to all of the row.

I have never had much luck with the Coralife ones. They last about a year for me, then the little plastic pieces that cover the outlets start to fall off regardless of whether you've ever used that particular outlet or not and it gets stuck not turning on or not turning off. To much $$ for a piece of crap. I've gone through at least 10 of them, non digi of course.

For $19 I'm going to pick up one since one of the Coralifes is guaranteed to die soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts