The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through Aquatraders.com and noticed they have "new models" on their website.

Was actually thinking about this lamp: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=312

I'v heard all different stories, about how they don't have endcaps, they shrinkwrap the ends of the lights, they direct connect to the ballast and so on. I've read some threads but they were from a few years ago.

So, does anyone know if they cleaned up their act?

Most importantly, I don't want to BURN DOWN the house, which is why I am asking.

Also, I was always confused about the 65 watt claim. It's for my 20gal, but I heard that 65 is actually just 55. If that is true, I have to rethink it since it would be 2.75 wpg instead of 3.25.

Questions, comments about these "new" lights?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I know that for their MH/MH+PC fixtures, reefers have been using them for a while without any problems if the stock MH ballasts are switched out. I think their newer models are lot better built than their previous ones.

The threads were talking about the MH/MH+PC fixtures, not the PC-only fixtures, for what it's worth. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok, so all the "fire hazards" were in relation to the MH fixtures?

I was just looking for a 65w one, maybe I will take a chance for $35. I was going to do the Workhorse 5 and bulbs and all which would come in around $60 as a DIY project. I'm figuring a DIY project would be more dangerous than even the listed light above! LOL!

I'm figuring that the CFL fixtures seem to be pretty safe then? Has anyone disected one of these new lights to see if the plastic wrap and no sockets claims are true?

Also, quick question. I saw this on their site: http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=345

$16.99 for a Universal Ballast and pre-wired endcaps? Anyone have one of these? Universal is a pretty big company and not a Chinese one like Odyssea or Jebo. Do you think they are remanufactured or something?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Oh, no, the fire hazard ones also included PC-only fixtures. I was just sharing what I've read about their new line of fixtures.

I think they didn't mean the brand Universal...just that it's a universal ballast that works with any 96W PC bulb.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AAAhhhhh, good point with the "U"niversal ballasts. I just emailed them to double check but you are probably right.

I guess this is the Holy Grail of lighting, cheap and SAFE, that I am trying to find for us students.

I'd love to know if anyone took one of these apart yet to see the craftmanship.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
does that 1x65w fixture even have a reflector behind the bulb?
do you suppose that fixture may last longer with the ballast
in an external unit like that? I suppose the bulb runs cooler
without the ballast inside the fixture housing.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
does that 1x65w fixture even have a reflector behind the bulb?
do you suppose that fixture may last longer with the ballast
in an external unit like that? I suppose the bulb runs cooler
without the ballast inside the fixture housing.
What's funny is that the picture shows an external ballast while the description says: "Ballast Type: Internal Electronic".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.