The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up at the (not so) LFS today...

Very cute...but very tiny :)

I'll add the scientific name when I get it...
(forgot to write it down @ the store...DUH)

Larry
the forgetful old guy

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
They're fully aquatic. Those are the Thai Micro Crabs that was circulating around a while back. Their prices have gone down dramatically over the short time that they were being sold. From 18-20 dollars to around half of what it used to be.

Max size is tiny, the body's carapace is less than half an inch at most. Maybe around 1/3 of an inch? If you include legs, I'd say a little over half an inch if you spread it out. They're VERY micro indeed. No records of breeding from what I can find. My crabs haven't bred for me. They are extremely shy as well and avoid the light as much as possible. Truly nocturnal critters. The only time you'll probably see them is at night, when lights go off.

They're a cute and interesting addition to a tank nonetheless! :) Congrats on your pick-up.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Max size is tiny, the body's carapace is less than half an inch at most. Maybe around 1/3 of an inch? If you include legs, I'd say a little over half an inch if you spread it out. They're VERY micro indeed. No records of breeding from what I can find. My crabs haven't bred for me. They are extremely shy as well and avoid the light as much as possible. Truly nocturnal critters. The only time you'll probably see them is at night
Do you think that a 2.5 gallon is enough to keep like 3 of them by them selves? i have one empty that i want to use with low light..and what about feeding and filtration, any thing special?
i am going to google them right know, but its good to ask someone who used to keep them.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Honestly, I don't even know what the hell these guys eat. They don't eat any of the algae wafers that I give my shrimp. I never see them pick at anything, just just walk around at night. Putting 3 in a 2.5 gallon can be done, you can even add more if you want. It's just that, they're a little pricey. However, chances are, you'll never see them until nighttime. It'll be a pretty boring 2.5G because of their nocturnal behavior. When they do come out at night, it's only because it's dark. Once you turn on the light (at night) to view them, they run away to the nearest shaded area.

Ideally, they need a place to hide. So creating a rock cave or some kind of driftwood cave will make them feel more comfortable. Unfortunately, this also means we won't see them as often too.
I think they only feed on micro-organisms. I don't filtration is a big issue, just have one is all they (and everything else) needs.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I believe the crabs sold as "Thai Micro Crabs" are Limnopilos naiyanetri... as shown here http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/blog/archives/188
and here http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=16190

These are very different than those shown at the links above.. these have much shorter legs and very small claws... for size reference, the carapace is smaller than a #2 pencil eraser (the entire crab is no larger than a common aspirin)

The behavior seems to be the same as described for the Thai variety... they are very good hiders... mine has taken up residence in a clump of Fissidens fontanus and only ventures out after the lights are off.

They had 20 originally, this was the only remaining one I could find... price was $14.99ea

Still working on getting the scientific name... I'll post here as soon as I do!

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
The leg's length may vary. I have some micro crabs that don't have very long legs like in the second picture. That seems freakishly long to be honest.

Interesting though, if it's a different sp. I'd love to see more shots :-D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
holy nitrates! 16 bucks for that little guy? He is cute though, is he pretty active?

My last crap (fiddler) ate all my javaferns all 7 of them that were in my tank, he was very full. He didnt eat them until I turned out the lights to wake up in the morning to small particles of root left over lol! I took him back to the LFS

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have about a Dozen that I pick up from a friend and they are super cool. Some tend to hide in my Flame Moss and other in the Fiss. but they do come out when the light is on. I planning on getting more when I get a chance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
holy nitrates! 16 bucks for that little guy? He is cute though, is he pretty active?
It's only money, I'll make more... :wink:

No, it's not very active at all... but that's cool
with me, I know it's in there :icon_smil

Larry

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Getting my fork ready...

for a nice crow dinner :biggrin:

This little crab is indeed a Limnopilos naiyanetri as suggested by Ebichua... I picked up 2 more from the same batch at the (not so) LFS...

This one was out foraging for food this afternoon, so I grabbed a pic ;)

This is the smallest of the 3 and has a much lighter coloration than the original.... Identification is undeniable with this one (even with my crappy photog skills)

I am keeping 3 of these & 1 Neocardina shrimp in a small bowl on a *stand* beside my desk... I'll post a pic later
(waiting on a Do!aqua 30cm Plant glass cylinder to house them in)

Ebichua, I've been feeding these frozen brine shrimp, they take them right off the end of the ADA pincettes !

Larry

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just thought I'd update this thread a bit...

All 3 crabs are still doing great in their little bowl...

All 3 will take frozen brine right from the tweezers &
at some point last night 1 molted :biggrin:

Keeping my fingers crossed

Larry

·
Registered
366 Posts
These seem really cool! I'm always looking for something out of the ordinary for my tank. Does anyone know how they relate to tank mates? The largest fish in my tank are mollies, the rest are tetras and a couple of bumblebee gobies. I also have 10 Amano shrimp. These crabs are small but, do you think they could hold there own it my 75g?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'd forgotten about this thread guys, I'll get some pics and give an update in the next few days :)

Edit: bit of bad news, computer died today .... should have a new one built by the end of the week though ;)
(built the old one back in '01... it served me well... goodbye old friend)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts