The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I first want to welcome myself to the forums here and give a little explanation of the setup we have.

I have a 15gallon tank thats about 6 - 8 months old now. It's residents are as follows:
4 fancy guppy adults (1 yellowtail, 1 redtail, 1 yellow w/blue tail)
3 or 4 midsize fancy guppies (all yellow-tail)
30 or so babies which are all growing very quickly (all yellow-tail)
3 wild guppies
3 platy's
3 Danios
1 chinese algae eater
2 leopard cory's
1 golden apple snail

Now, my tank has been through all sorts of things while I figured out all the details of owning and caring for a freshwater fishtank. These include doing a 100% water change at one point along with cleaning all the ornaments, gravel and plants. Just thinking it was a good idea, little did I know. This of course caused all sorts of problems with the quality of the water. The Ammonia and Nitrate levels were a little bit high. During this water change I noticed what I later found to be copepods in the bottom of the extracted water and some very small snails that must have come along with some of the plants we bought. After this water change things went downhill. At the time I still had a baby black molly that never seemed to grow larger than a couple centimeters. He also took on a case of ick. Upon treating this, I killed 2 of the 3 snails I had. I didn't know the ick treatment would kill snails. We also noticed that the small snails were multiplying like crazy. The tank started to get a bit cloudy as well. So with a bit more reading up, I started to do a couple 25-30% water changes a week. We also started picking out the little snails.

The water was actually only getting worse. Darker green as time went on. This went on for a couple months. We tried everything from checking PH levels (6.0) to blacking the tank out for days at a time. I also thought for a while that it might be due to the copepods I was finding. This was the point where I bought a couple cory's to eat them up. They certainly ate a lot and seemed happy, but the green water only got worse. Finally, upon suggestion from an online friend, I purchased a 9W UV sanitizing filter. This cleared up the water in less than 48 hours. Cleaner than i've ever seen it. Simple amazing. So, with that out of the way, we waited a couple weeks for the UV to do it's full job and for the water and fish to settle down and level out.

At this point, we wanted to turn the UV off to see if the green water was going to come back. After a couple days it still seemed ok, but I noticed some of my fish "flashing" at the bottom. I learned this was due to a case of ick. Great, does the fun never end. (BTW, the little molly had died a bit before this point). So I took the snail out of the tank, turned the UV back on, turned the heat up a bit and took the carbon out of my filter. After a few days I saw no signs of ick on the fish and no signs of "flashing". Unfortunately, I noticed the water was a bit warm and the fish didn't look as active as normal. After 2 days I lost 1 of my red-tail guppies and 1 of my blue-tail guppies I think due to the heat. I immediately turned the heater down and threw some ice in the tank.

Now, during the green water problem, I wasn't cleaning out the gravel to limit the amount of junk in the tank while I find the source of the problem. And during the ick problem, I didn't want to do any water changes so as to keep the stress level down for the fish while they get better.

It's been a long and infomative journey. I have done a couple 25% water changes for the past few days and noticed at the bottom of the extracted water, along with the copepods are these little white worms. Looking around, my closest guess is Oligochaete's. Here is a picture if anyone has any ideas.

Feel free to look at some other pics i've taken of my tank. here:
Aquarium - a photoset on Flickr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no problem bharada. I'm just glad it went through .. didn't want to have to type that all out again.

Anyone have any ideas on what type of worm this is and if it's harmful or benign?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They can't be more than a centimeter long .. most smaller, only a few as long. They kind of wiggle just a bit. I only see them and the copepods when I save the last bit of extracted water in a jar from cleaning the gravel and doing a water change. The worms don't last more than a few days .. or at least I don't see them at all. The copepods last a couple weeks and then start diminishing in numbers, at which point I just toss them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts