The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 65Gal tank - 36x18x24. I have 192W CoraLife lights. CO2 Equipment on the way. This fixture gets very hot so I will be mounting it on legs. I was going to go with an open top but I don't want my fish to escape. So if I use the CL adjustable legs, with a top, will 192W CL lights be a good amount of lighting for a 24" deep tank? Will I be able to grow a wide variety of plants? Can anyone recommend a foreground cover plant that will suceed under these conditions (192W CL fixture, 24" deep tank, eco-complete, press. CO2.)?

I plan on having a betta or 2 so if I did use an open top is there any way to ensure they will not leap? I thought I read once that using LED's on the top of the tank have worked in keeping fish from leaping. Any thoughts?

Thanks all,

Randy B.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Weel first off you will not want to have 2 bettas in your tank otherwise they will fight each other. Also all my tanks are open tops and yet to have any fish that jumped out. Did have some missing due to the cat thinking it was open fishing season. My beta in my 55g never tried to escape.

·
Registered
381 Posts
...2 Betta...make sure they are both female, and about the same size...get them both (or up to 4) at the same time. An older female will pick on a smaller female...sometimes ending in death. If you have one female, then get 2 or more new females, so that way one won't be picked on all the time. I have had 2 female Betta in a 5.5g tank for about a yr now with no trouble...well, actually I lost one to dropsy, but replaced her shortly after.

Sorry, no advice on plants as I am just starting a planted tank...low tech...no co2.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
even multiple females isn't really a good mix. It can be done. then again so can two males. it really all boils down to the temperment of the individual fish and tank size. But I'd still not reccomend it.
As for jumping. the reason why bettas jump is because of poor water conditions. in the wild if the water they are in is stagnant or just foul they will jump to another patch of water to find one that is suitable.
In the home this is the leap of death.
Bettas don't "just jump" as most LFS people would have you think. (they never just say your wrong or screwed up, they make a reason why its not your fault so they can sell you another fish)

Your lighting should be suitable for most plants. and yes you do want to use the leggs to raise the fixture off the glass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I suppose I will try my luck with an open top.

As for the betta's, 1M and 1F don't often get along with one another? I had heard that they can. Perhaps I am mistaken. I am planning on 6-10 cory's and a BN pleco as well. What other schooling fish would be ideal with these tankmates? Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Randy B.

·
Registered
381 Posts
even multiple females isn't really a good mix. It can be done. then again so can two males. it really all boils down to the temperment of the individual fish and tank size. But I'd still not reccomend it.
As for jumping. the reason why bettas jump is because of poor water conditions. in the wild if the water they are in is stagnant or just foul they will jump to another patch of water to find one that is suitable.
In the home this is the leap of death.
Bettas don't "just jump" as most LFS people would have you think. (they never just say your wrong or screwed up, they make a reason why its not your fault so they can sell you another fish)

Your lighting should be suitable for most plants. and yes you do want to use the leggs to raise the fixture off the glass.
You are right about temperment of the individual betta (male and female alike)...I have a male betta "Rover" and he is sooo passive. I put him in a divided tank to get pictures of him flaring...nothing...a mirror in his tank...nothing...now put a female (safely in a cup), and he will "dance" and flare all day! In a 65g, I think there would be enough room to have 2 or 3 (not wanting to get into a debate), and they would be ok...there is, as with anything, a pecking order, and the females will establish how is the dominant female.

The choice is up to you if you want to put 2 or more female betta in your tank...just make sure there is enough hiding places for the non-doninant female.

All of my Betta tanks are open top. I just make sure that when I feed, I don't let them "jump" to get the food...the water quailty would be the only reason they would "move" to different water..ie jumping out of the bowl...why do you think petstores keep them covered?:icon_frow

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Randy - I've converted my tanks to open top a couple of months ago and haven't had any problems with corys and dwarf neon rainbows in one tank and 1 male betta and 5 glow light tetras in the other.

For a schooling fish in a 65g planted tank I have to say get rainbow fish. Any kind will do in a tank that size but I'd get Boesmani.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ken,

I originally was going to do a rainbow tank, however, my tank is only 36" in length. Wouldn't most rainbows, including boesmani's want the 4 foot+ length? What are you thoughts?

Thanks.

RandyB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.