The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first I want to introduce myself. Im joe, and getting back into aquariums, I used to have a 75 planted discus tank about 6 years ago, but moved back to the US and never got it set up again. I live in Florida now and have a fairly small historic studio apartment so am concerned about getting a big tank, I dont think the hair salon under me would appreciate an aquarium coming through the roof! Anyways, what Ive got started is probably overstocked, kind of an impulse buy to settle our night light dispute bnetween my girlfriend and I. Anyways What Ive got is this-

8 gallon oceanic Biocube
18 watt 10,000k coralife
18 watt acetnic corallife
50 watt heater
Biocube wet/dry filter with bio balls and filter floss instead of the carbon/floss filter it came with
Seachem Flourite as substrate
Driftwood with anubias on it
about 6 other petsmart plants I dont know what the are but i just grabbed them to get started will be switching them out
Ialsmo bout seachem all in one nutris but not using it

2 cardinal tetras
4 peppered corydoras
2 rasboras
1 very small marbled angel

How overstocked am I?
Im trying to a very zen south american tank and want plants and fish from that region. I will have pictures up tonight. thanks and i really need help, i threw it all together without much thought and probably got more than i realized. Im hoping the filter is effective it has probably 100 bioballs and filters 100+GPH

Help me out please! Im trying to get it all going and i got the itch back just dont remember too much!

joey

·
Registered
50 Posts
It doesn't sound that overstocked to me, but you might want to get rid of the angelfish when he gets bigger. And I am also in Broward County too! xD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response, Im in Delray Beach, you know of any good LFS around here? The only one Ive been to is right off of federal in deerfield beach, I forget what it was called, but I ended up getting the BioCube 8 for 99.99 because one of the ballasts was dead and I just have to wait for the replacement on tuesday, 50 bucks less than I saw it anywhere else!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And Im also planning on doing a DIY CO2 until I get some extra cash for a paintball CO2. I figure with all this light Im going to need it! Or is acetnic not good for plants?

·
Registered
50 Posts
thanks for the response, Im in Delray Beach, you know of any good LFS around here? The only one Ive been to is right off of federal in deerfield beach, I forget what it was called, but I ended up getting the BioCube 8 for 99.99 because one of the ballasts was dead and I just have to wait for the replacement on tuesday, 50 bucks less than I saw it anywhere else!
Well besides the common Petco, Petsmart, and Petsupermarket on 441 in West Boca, there is Big Al's Aquarium Store which is the only one is Florida and I think the only one in the US. They are on University and McNab Road which is in Coral Springs. They have lots of FW and SW fish, and supplies. They also carry reptiles and supplies too. Here is their address and phone number:

6820 N University Dr
Tamarac, FL 33321-4011
(954) 722-3474

or you can check their online store: bigalsonline.com

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Like it! after you get rid of the angel, maybe consider getting somemore tetras and rasboras so they can shoal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is that cord in your display hooked up to? Will it fit in one of the chambers? That's the cool thing about all-in-one tanks, everything goes in the back chambers.

Keep the 10,000K bulb, but the Acetic bulb should be swapped out with a 6,400K bulb to give you a nice spectrum for plants.

Swap the Anglefish for an Oto, aka Dwarf Sucker Fish (Otocinclus affinis)

You could go yeast CO2 and put a CO2 reactor in one of the chambers.

Are you dosing anything yet? With that much light you need CO2 or Excel & dosing or algae may take over.

-Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the cord is the sensor for the thermometer its really small. I was thinking about putting the heater in the overflow anyone think thats a bad idea? also I kinda want to keep the angel because my girlfriend really likes it. Im planning to get a bigger aquarium fairly soon you all think itll be ak for a while? also i want to get rid of the rasboras and get three more tetras.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the cord is the sensor for the thermometer its really small. I was thinking about putting the heater in the overflow anyone think thats a bad idea? also I kinda want to keep the angel because my girlfriend really likes it. Im planning to get a bigger aquarium fairly soon you all think itll be ak for a while? also i want to get rid of the rasboras and get three more tetras.
I've always had the heater in the 1st overflow chamber of my NC6 with zero problem. I keep the sensor for the thermometer in the middle chamber so it's not affected by the heater in the 1st chamber or the pump in the last chamber.
-Rick

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've always had the heater in the 1st overflow chamber of my NC6 with zero problem. I keep the sensor for the thermometer in the middle chamber so it's not affected by the heater in the 1st chamber or the pump in the last chamber.
-Rick

I do the same but i worry cause sometimes i forget to turn off the heater when doing water changes, the water level goes below the heater.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do the same but i worry cause sometimes i forget to turn off the heater when doing water changes, the water level goes below the heater.
If you put everything on a switched GFI surge protector it's super easy to switch off everything before water changes. And it saves you from getting a good blast of electricity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got all the electronics hooked up to a gfi power strip so im not worried about getting shockd and I am going to move the heater into the overflow and the sensor into the second chamber. Thanks guys.

Anymore opinions of keeping the angel for a little while? the two rasboras are gone.

So i went down to big als this weekend and was kind of disappointed. Im sure if I was looking for a new tank there was everything i needed but the two things i was looking for- a glass co2 diffuser and an 18watt 6700k bulb they did not have. I was also dissapointed with their fish selection... not a whole lot of freshwater fish or plants!

Thanks everyone for your help the plants are starting to grow! ill get pics tonight!

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the lightbulb help! I got the new ballast yesterday, what a deal i got on this thing, but im ordering the bulb tomorrow. tank is doing well except for some algea starting already... i think i need co2 but is a two week old tank too new to do that with? half the water was from an established tank of a friends... and as for fish ive got 2 neon tetras, 1 supposed to be 2 cardinal tetras, 3 peppered corys and a baby angel about 1". heres some pics who can help me figure out the plants, the one on the driftwood i think is annubia, i think there is a little amazon and some sort of grass and then i have no idea... i want to try to get a south american tank with only plants from the regon the fish are from which i am assuming is south america? anyways heres pics
thanks
joe

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Try to add more depth by adding backround plants.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts