The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out recently that Florida Aquatic nurseries, the largest grower of aquatic plants in the USA, is releasing C. parva from mass production in the next 30 to 60 days. It will be available potted and bare root. They also tell me this cultivated version grows a little faster than the imported plants.

They are also currently growing affinis, beckettii, and albida, with release dates yet to be announced. While these Cryps are not new, they have always been imported in limited numbers. When FAN produces them and releases them nationwide, they will be virtually available at any store in the country that sells aquatic plants. I am particularly interested in parva and albida.

I had some albida a couple years ago, and it seemed to grow pretty easily in the aquarium. I ended up selling off what I had when I did a re-scape. Is anyone growing albida? What do you think of the plant?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I currently have C. parva and have had albida in the past. Both make nice foreground plants although parva is a slow grower IME.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Faster growth

I found out recently that Florida Aquatic nurseries, the largest grower of aquatic plants in the USA, is releasing C. parva from mass production in the next 30 to 60 days. It will be available potted and bare root. They also tell me this cultivated version grows a little faster than the imported plants.
Plants from tissue culture generally produce a more vigorous growth and an increased tendency to early branching out. This is due to 'cleaning' the plant material used for tissue culture and by this, producing a material free from fungi, bacteria aand viruses - hence their claim of faster growing.

In the case of Cryptocoryne and the frequently reported 'melting', I suspect presence of Ervinia sp., which manifests itself frequently while plant is in stress - as in transplanting, shipping, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if essays on Cryptocoryne plants in aquaria did show also some Aroid viruses also.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Hey Drew! If you ever get a runner from that C. albida, I know of a certain crypt junkie who doesn't have that one yet :biggrin:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm very excited to hear about the c. parva. I have been looking for more for some time. I have 3 plants that came from a single pot I broke apart. I have had them for at least 2 years, they havent put out a single runner, and I'd say each one has lost about 5 leaves and grown about 10 over the course of two years. It always stays super healthy though, no algae ever, and has braved through several crypt melts of my wendtii with no casualties.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats the brown albida you got there. There is a definite difference in appearance beteen the brown and green Albida. HFF, your emersed albida looks much more narrow than mine. Mine has fleshy, wider leaves.

Same plant in the aquarium;

the sample parva from FAN

this is a nice really full pot

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.