The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope im in the right section for posting this.

I have a 30gallon breeder tank, that I am in the process of starting.

I just got water in the tank, filter going and the Fluval Substrate in this past weekend.

I want to go Low Tech, and from my understanding that, is no co2 injection correct?

I have the Finnex Planted LED light for the tank, a Fluval C4 filter (left over from my cichlid days), im running the Fluval Planted Substrate.

My question is, can I keep a tank of plants with no CO2 and do I need to run a heater and air stone.

Thank you
Jason

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Low tech is generally described as no CO2 additives, but what you decide to call it is up to you! Usually injection is considered high tech, but liquid CO2 fits somewhere in the middle.

The planted+ in my opinion is medium light, so you may see some algae without CO2. I dose liquid CO2 like seachem excel or api CO2 booster. You just have to take into account your larger volume. 3mL daily liquid carbon would be needed (according to dosing instructions)

Heater would be a benefit, and needed if you are doing tropical fish. Air stone isn't needed unless you inject CO2 to my knowledge (but I don't inject so someone else chime in)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low tech is generally described as no CO2 additives, but what you decide to call it is up to you! Usually injection is considered high tech, but liquid CO2 fits somewhere in the middle.

The planted+ in my opinion is medium light, so you may see some algae without CO2. I dose liquid CO2 like seachem excel or api CO2 booster. You just have to take into account your larger volume. 3mL daily liquid carbon would be needed (according to dosing instructions)

Heater would be a benefit, and needed if you are doing tropical fish. Air stone isn't needed unless you inject CO2 to my knowledge (but I don't inject so someone else chime in)
Thank you for the reply, that's what I figured low tech was. ok good im on the right page then.

I plan on doing liquid CO2. just don't want to invest in the expensive CO2 systems.

I figured as much for the heaters, I guess I never took notice to seeing them in everyone else's tanks. same goes for the air stones.

makes my shopping trip that much cheaper!

·
Registered
304 Posts
CO2 injection is not required but it helps. See my journal (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=625258 ) plus I have one more tank with no CO2 injection, no excel. I dont know if the so called "high requirements/fancy" plants will do good in such a tank, havent tried that yet. I have success with "simpler" plants. Also growth will be slow.

You can save on liquid carbon too. I think you need quality substrate which you have (fluval) and proper ferts (liquid/root tabs based on the plants you have) and you are good to go. Low cost, low maint.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Because a 30B tank is only about a foot high, the light will be from 10-12 inches from the substrate. That means you will have high light with that Finnex Planted+ light. You can't expect to succeed with a low tech tank with that much light. Low tech really means low light, much more than it means no CO2. When you have that much light the plants have to have a source of carbon in order to grow at the rate the light is driving them to. Only pressurized CO2 can provide that, and provide it at a consistent level, which is necessary to have healthy plants. Unhealthy plants attract algae.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because a 30B tank is only about a foot high, the light will be from 10-12 inches from the substrate. That means you will have high light with that Finnex Planted+ light. You can't expect to succeed with a low tech tank with that much light. Low tech really means low light, much more than it means no CO2. When you have that much light the plants have to have a source of carbon in order to grow at the rate the light is driving them to. Only pressurized CO2 can provide that, and provide it at a consistent level, which is necessary to have healthy plants. Unhealthy plants attract algae.
Im not directly sure its a breeder tank, if I remember correctly its 36 wide, but 12 deep and I think 15 tall. im not sure on it because it was a free tank. that I refurbed and been using.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got home and measured. the tank height is 17inches. the light sits 15inches from the substrate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts