The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by a YouTube video I decided I will setup my Waterbox Clear Mini 6 (14.2"×9.4"×11" ) as a lost garden tank. I purchased the cement statue online from Singapore a few months ago. It's a bit smaller than I wanted, but I still think it looks nice. I'll paint the back black. A friend that cracked his tank and decided to quit the hobby dropped off this particular piece of wood. I have some black mountain seiryu stone and mini christmas moss on order. I'll pack the background with ferns I already have, but if anyone has a nice sized microsorum or bolbitis they think will look great in here they should DM me. I'll also pull some plants from here and there that I have - some dwarf sag maybe, a crypt or two and/or hydrocotal. The substrate is fluval plant and shrimp stratum. Debating on adding leaf litter. It's my hope that I can arrange the stones in such a way to allow the little hob I have to look like a waterfall. ...don't know if that will work though. I'll probably hang a light and keep it a bit low as I don't think I'll be able to get CO2 on this. Maybe I can pull it from the one tank I'll be pulling some plants from.

What should I stock the tank with after it's cycled? I was thinking either CPDs or blue dream neos perhaps.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Silver tip tetras would be stunning!

Inspired by a YouTube video I decided I will setup my Waterbox Clear Mini 6 (14.2"×9.4"×11" ) as a lost garden tank. I purchased the cement statue online from Singapore a few months ago. It's a bit smaller than I wanted, but I still think it looks nice. I'll paint the back black. A friend that cracked his tank and decided to quit the hobby dropped off this particular piece of wood. I have some black mountain seiryu stone and mini christmas moss on order. I'll pack the background with ferns I already have, but if anyone has a nice sized microsorum or bolbitis they think will look great in here they should DM me. I'll also pull some plants from here and there that I have - some dwarf sag maybe, a crypt or two and/or hydrocotal. The substrate is fluval plant and shrimp stratum. Debating on adding leaf litter. It's my hope that I can arrange the stones in such a way to allow the little hob I have to look like a waterfall. ...don't know if that will work though. I'll probably hang a light and keep it a bit low as I don't think I'll be able to get CO2 on this. Maybe I can pull it from the one tank I'll be pulling some plants from.

What should I stock the tank with after it's cycled? I was thinking either CPDs or blue dream neos perhaps.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 1027697

·
Registered
349 Posts
The blue dreams are really pretty but might not show up too good with dark substrate and background. Something red or orange would be more visible. I have blue dreams in a 55 with a lot of green foliage and some darker rockwork. The shrimp look really nice if they are on the plants, but otherwise you really have to look for them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The blue dreams are really pretty but might not show up too good with dark substrate and background. Something red or orange would be more visible. I have blue dreams in a 55 with a lot of green foliage and some darker rockwork. The shrimp look really nice if they are on the plants, but otherwise you really have to look for them.
Good point. I have reds in the betta tank with dark substrate already. Maybe this one gets a couple CPDs or a pair of endlers? As soon as I get shelving up in the basement for the new "fishroom" perhaps I'll re-setup the 29g and do all epiphyte plants with a light substrate for blue dreams and a pair of apistogrammas.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get a trio of 1 male and 2 female sparkling gourami, if you're doing CPD, you may have problems if you only have a few and end up with mostly males.
excellent suggestion!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plants on the way are:
Looks nice so far! I do have extra Bolbitis heudelotii if you still need it, but I never shipped before and would need some advice if you want it, unless you're in San Francisco?
Thank you so much. I found someone yesterday on FB Marketplace that's sending one to me. If that falls through I'll let you know.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: The 22L - lost garden - tank is planted and cycling:

mini christmas moss
bolbitis heudelotii
limnophila hippuridoides
microsorum pterpus java
cryptocoryne wendtii green gecko
sagittaria subulata

waterbox clear mini 6 aquarium
fluval stratum
black mountain seiryu stone
manzanita wood
oase filtosmart 60 canister filter
temporary light (8 hrs)
co2 & heater will be installed this weekend and everything will be moved to a permanent stand

fish <- tbd

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Good point. I have reds in the betta tank with dark substrate already. Maybe this one gets a couple CPDs or a pair of endlers? As soon as I get shelving up in the basement for the new "fishroom" perhaps I'll re-setup the 29g and do all epiphyte plants with a light substrate for blue dreams and a pair of apistogrammas.
If you decide to do the apisto/ blue dream tank can we please pretty please get a few pics? I've got a soft spot for apistos, they were the first SA cichlid I started breeding, sorry for the ridiculous chime in. 😇

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you decide to do the apisto/ blue dream tank can we please pretty please get a few pics? I've got a soft spot for apistos, they were the first SA cichlid I started breeding, sorry for the ridiculous chime in. 😇
That will be the next tank rescape of my 29g. Hopefully I can start getting that setup over the weekend too. I have to have the livestock shipped in from somewhere though.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Guarantee now that I'm back to being just a hobbyist I'll be around this forum for a while ;)I'm patient lol. I just love admiringly other peoples fish set ups that I want but will not let myself have... I'm a recovering MTA ( multiple tank addict). Your cube is beautiful, btw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.