The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so in an effort to combat the BBA from the lights being on for 9 hours from 230-1130PM I am re-doing my light schedule (since I had to reset the timer due to Daylight savings) Please let me know what you guys think or if it will help because I have been having a nasty bout with BBA :icon_cry:

New lighting schedule is 1130-330 and then 730 to 1130 so basically I'm looking at 4 hours on, 4 off 4 on then 12 off

Basic Tank Stats:
55G
2x54 T5HO (although one is that coral bulb could that be causing the algae?)
Injected CO2 (Running at approx 80-100 BPM)

If you need any more info about the tank or what's in there feel free to hit the journal below

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Algae need light more than anything else, and you are giving them lots of light. If you want to continue to use that much light you will need to adjust your CO2 system so you are supplying the plants with all of the carbon they need to grow as fast as that light drives them to. That will be closer to 200 bubbles per minute than 80, but you need to raise the bubble rate very slowly. Just raise it slightly, watch the fish and plants for a day or more, and if the fish are ok, repeat this. Do this until you stop seeing improvements in the plants, after watching them for several days per adjustment. While doing this you need to make sure the tank water is well oxygenated, by having good water surface ripple over the whole surface. (This helps the fish to live with the high CO2 concentration) Also, you have to make sure you are not limiting the plant growth rate with too little of any of the nutrients, NPK and traces. And, you need to stick to a rigorous tank and filter maintenance program to keep everything clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts