The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over my 40 breeder, I currently have a DIY hood/light fixture that is rather awkward and heavy. It holds 6 CFL bulbs and it works, but doesn't allow much flexibility. The plants are growing pretty well, but I'm getting alot of algae, even with dry ferts and paintball CO2.

I'm considering this fixture (Pic is 48" fixture, but I would get the 36" one to fit my tank):

Which would be easy to suspend over the tank at 12" to give me medium light, or a little lower to increase the intensity a bit, (according to Hoppy's PAR chart).

I asked the seller if the bulbs are "full spectrum" daylight, or just daylight, but I don't know if it matters? I've been told that you can grow stuff under almost any color T5HO. I'm tempted to even try a 10,000k in it.

I'm wondering if this would be a good fixture for me, if it would provide enough spread to cover the tank (36"x18") at about 8-12" above the rim of the tank?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The 6500K bulbs would be great.

6500K/6700K seem to be the ideal target for plants according to popular opinion.

I have a 40 gallon breeder and with such a wide (front to back) and short tank it is really hard to get good coverage and light spread (front to back) without either having two fixtures or raising a single slightly over-powered fixture above the tank.

I have a 2 bulb T5NO fixture directly on top of the tank (which should provide the correct amount of light) but I am not really happy with the end result. Raising it slightly or hanging a T5HO are my next options I guess.

As long as you are willing to hang the fixture it should give you good options and flexibility.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
according to Hoppy's PAR chart, that fixture resting right on my 16" tall tank would give me too high light. 12" above the tank gives medium, that's why I'll probably hang it between 8 and 12" above, play with it a bit to find what looks good and gives good spread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.