The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello First Post!

So, I'm trying to setup my first planted tank and I'm looking for some guidance on what light to start out with. I have spoken with my LFS about this but I dont have confidence that they know much about lights for planted tanks..

I have a 20g high with some eco-complete substrate and a Fluval 206 waiting to get planted, it currently has a basic led hood on it that im guessing was not intended for growing plants, it also gets a decent amount of indirect sunlight.

1. Can I grow anything with that amount of light? I'm guessing no.

2. What lights would you recommend I look at, I dont know if I want an LED or something more traditional, I'm doing some reading, but its a lot of info to take in. I would appreciate someone pointing me to a few decent models that are proven performers. I dont have a particular budget, but I would like to get something that will work decent for a variety of plants. Thanks for your Help!!

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Are you planning on using fertilizers/CO2? Are you ok with trimming and 50% water changes weekly if you get high light? Any particular plants that you MUST have?

I have a 20g high low tech tank with crypts, anubias, java ferns, wisteria, and dwarf sag. I use a ZooMed LED. I do not inject CO2 in that tank and only fertilize a small amount each week.

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I probably don't won't to use co2 right off the bat, but I'm not against adding it at some point. I'm open to using fertilizers if necessary. Why does high lighting = 50% water changes? That sounds like more maintenance than I want.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Are you doing weekly 50% water changes with your setup? To answer your question, I don't know what plants I want yet.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
The 50% water changes are needed for a medium to high light situation in order to prevent excess nutrients and waste from building up. There are fertilizer regimens that state less water changes, but I find water changes to help correct almost any problem (nutrient imbalance, algae, fish health).

I do 50% water changes on my 75g, 55g, and 20g every week. I have it down to a simple routine and takes about 45 minutes on a Sunday afternoon. The plant trimming takes MUCH longer on the high tech 75g. I don't really ever have to trim the low tech 20g.

I think if you might add in CO2 later, it makes sense to invest in a light that can give you medium light and then dim it to low light while you are learning.

Ben

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think if you might add in CO2 later, it makes sense to invest in a light that can give you medium light and then dim it to low light while you are learning.

Ben
That sounds like a good idea. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Sattelite plus pro, because it seems like it puts off a good amount of light and is adjustable. I'm hesitant because it seems alot of peole are having reliability issues though. Are there any other lights that put off a good amount of light, are adjustable, and perhaps more reliable?

If not I may just go for something that puts out medium light and not adjustable, then i will figure out how to fight the algae later.

I ordered a finnex 24/7, seems like it will work out OK for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.