The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have been lurking here looking for answers and my head is going to explode!
I have a 60+ gallon 48"L x 13"W x 24"H. I also have some dwarf water lettuce that is growing at a super snail pace if at all. They are the only plants I have right now maybe a planted substrate in the future, but not yet. I have been informed that the 2 x 17watt fixtures I have is "not enough light to grow plastic plants" lol. I am ready to order glass lids and a new light fixture. I would like to get some answers first if I could though.
I would like to not have to dose Co2. I don't mind liquid ferts if minimal. The tank will soon be fully stocked. Almost there.
I am currently looking at the Odyssea 4x54watt t5ho fixture. Please help me out, will this be too much light? What should the photo period be? If it is too much light could i just pop a couple of bulbs out?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think if your just looking to grow low light plants.........well, you could go with a single T5HO, but at 24 inches tall, you might want to go dual bulb T5HO. I think if you went with a normal output T5, there wouldn't be sufficient penetration into the water. 24" deep is pretty deep, I don't think I would go with normal output if I was looking to grow any type of plant. Word to the wise though, I would do some research on here for which fixture to get. I have been e mailing Catalina Aquariums and looking at purchasing a T5HO from them, my fixture has some pretty low end reflectors and I think I am having lighting issues right now......If you were to buy a fixture, I would recommend them, I like the service I am receiving and the fixtures are a good quality at a fair price. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if your just looking to grow low light plants.........well, you could go with a single T5HO, but at 24 inches tall, you might want to go dual bulb T5HO. I think if you went with a normal output T5, there wouldn't be sufficient penetration into the water. 24" deep is pretty deep, I don't think I would go with normal output if I was looking to grow any type of plant. Word to the wise though, I would do some research on here for which fixture to get. I have been e mailing Catalina Aquariums and looking at purchasing a T5HO from them, my fixture has some pretty low end reflectors and I think I am having lighting issues right now......If you were to buy a fixture, I would recommend them, I like the service I am receiving and the fixtures are a good quality at a fair price. Good luck.

Do you currently own an Odyssea?
Thanks for the info. I will look into Catalina

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've been using Odyssea fixtures almost exclusively on all my tanks for the past year. Love their stuff and you can't beat the price. No reliability issues at all. The 4 bulb fixture will likely be too much light for you. The 2 bulb or if they make a 3 bulb in 48" (I don't remember without looking) would be better. The only downside to Odyssea fixtures is the reflectors aren't great. This just means you have to leave the fixture right on top of the tank instead elevating it. Not really an issue in my mind. I'm running a 2 bulb 36" fixture 22" off the substrate in my growout tank and I have to pump Co2 to keep the algae in check. I've been able to grow every plant I've thrown in that tank. Just my opinion. I'm ordering a 48" Odyssea fixture today actually for a tank my mom just bought for her house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts