The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...as a staple diet. How does TPT feel about them? They are high quality, expensive, pellets that I feed to my other fish. With they serve adequate for RCS?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use these for my cichlids. I'm going to have to go drop a few in the shrimp tank and see how they like them!

·
Registered
780 Posts
They should be a great staple diet for shrimp, along with real veggies occaisonally. They are a great food for fish, and do enhance their colors quite nicely. I don't know if they'll help with the shrimp's colors as well, but they do contain the necessary nutrients to feed as a staple diet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the H20 Tablets for my RCS and Zebra plecos.
Hmm ... H2O tablets have some vegies in them. Not the best of food for Zebra plecos. Shrimp pellets would be a better choice for them. Any meaty food would be better. Although I do feed my baby zebras NLS growth formula sometimes. That is provided that your zebra plecos are the real zebra plecos.
Sorry for the off topic comment.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yes Mine are L046 and nothing like the ones in your avatar....

I feed my zebras a range of things and H20 tablets is one of them along with Hikari sinking carnivore bits. Also if you looked at the first few ingredient listed on NLS it's Krill and Herring instead of "meal" like other foods. Shrimp pellets also have "other" things listed before shrimp is listed and that's with omega brand pellets. I think when it come to nutritional value NLS has the others beat....don't be fooled by "labels".

·
Registered
57 Posts
My avatar? Oh right. It's been a while since I post here. Let me fix that ... there.
eklikewhoa, just remember to feed the frozen blood worms once it a while. It will keep their apetite up and helps prepare the for breeding when the time comes.
Again, sorry for jacking this thread.

But going back to this topic. How come no one is concerned about the presence of copper sulphate in NLS? They can't be good for CRS.

my shrimps seem to semi-ignore NLS pellets
Mine too. Some of my fish spit them back out. My point of view is that NLS is just as good and perphapes maybe slightly better than a few of the other brands. But the way it was hyped, it made me think it's almost as good as frozen food. Unfortunately, my experience tells me it's still a far way off.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I don't think frozen foods can be as nutritional as some dry foods and I don't feed my zebras bloodworms yet and might not ever start, what I will do is make some food for them.

I feed MY RCS NLS like every other day or so and have never had any problems with the little copper sulfate that is listed like every other food available out there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
There's copper sulfate nearly in any product nowadays, both fish food and plant ferts.

I feed my Crystal Reds and White Pearls NLS pellets and my self made shrimpy biscuits. The shrimp are almost as interested in NLS as they are in shrimpy biscuits and that's a good result in my book (my shrimp dislike nearly all the other commercial foods, an exception being Wardley Shrimp Pellets which comes in third place after NLS and shrimpy biscuits).

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you're worry about your zeb choking on blood worm, you might want to try brime shrimp. Trust me, I've been where you are when I started with only two zebra plecos. Now I have over 40 of them. As for choking, I've had 1 or 2 cases, but it's fairly rare if you consider that I've breed more than 100 of them. Although sadly, my earlier experiences resulted in more than 60 of the fry dying within 3 - 4 months.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Also, Something like blached then either dehydrated of frozen spinach is probably cheaper and better. If you don't want to always have to blanch it just do what I said above. Make one huge batch (A few bags) and freeze it all at once. So then its all set for a year!

In my opinion there isn't any real reason to even bother with commercial foods for most inverts... They eat veggies...:hihi: and there are plenty of hobbiest foods available! Rain's is great and I'm working on some. There are a few other members just here who are as well. (I can't think of the names sorry guys... It was a looong day yesterday and got no sleep)

So If you don't want to even have any chance of something being wrong why not go that route?

-Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts