The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big new, glossy aquarium store has just opened in Sacramento. It is "Fish Planet", with a website at fishplanet.biz. I visited the store, located at Howe and Arden in the Howe about Arden shopping center, today for the first time. The obvious first impression is that it is a huge store by Sacramento LFS standards. Where Capitol Aquariuim is funky and fun, and "O" Street Aquarium is funky and moderately well stocked, Fish Planet is slick, big, and well stocked. They will have a very large round salt water tank set up before too long, but not yet. No emphasis at all on planted tanks, and no display planted tank. More plastic plants on display than natural plants.

For now, they have a very good stock of the supplies we normally use, with the sad exception of Seachem, a company the clerk I talked to didn't recognize. But, their food shelves are more extensive than I have seen anywhere. And, their stock of filters, powerheads, and their supplies is also extensive.

In the back are the tanks of fish for sale, still not well stocked, nor particularly well cared for. And, the big rack of tanks of live plants for sale is disappointing. Lots of brown leaves visible, little light and no sign of CO2 addition.

They have plenty of tanks of all sizes for sale, including some 200 gallon type tanks, but I didn't check out the prices.

I was shocked to see that they have a lot of little stuff, like the Red Sea CO2 indicator (drop checker), for only $13, and a lot of DIY CO2 stuff. For me this will likely be my LFS for almost everything from now on, just because they are extensively stocked.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just was there now too. Definitely has things other local stores don't and they'll be getting more. Kudos on having the large Eheims there! They have the Professional III (but at a hefty price) and a larger classic. Can't wait to see what they'll look like when it's ready for the grand opening in February! The prices are a little higher than others in the area for some things, but they have things that others in the area don't stock.

Tina

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
This place is great and the owner is very well respected and knowledgable in the public aquarium field, I hope they do well in the retail world.

I'll talk him about carrying some ADA line.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I had just went there today. The Java Ferns were planted but they'll get it right soon. I am planning on goin there to fix up my CO2 unit. They have the whole set over there it is awesome. I also found Panda Corys which I couldnt find anywhere. Also its close, on the bus it takes no longer than 5 minutes. And they have a great food selection and Flourish Excel. Which I need to get.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They now have Flourish Excel??? I asked them to stock it just 2 days ago, and the lady said the sales rep would be in that day and she would if he had it. Wow!! Now, I don't have to mail order it from Big Al's all the time. I hope they got Flourish, Prime and Equilibrium too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went and checked this place out today on my lunch break. Large, clean store with a good selection of supplies at average prices (cheaper than Capital, more expensive than Exotic). They had Flourish (trace), Excel, Potassium, and Iron, and the person working in the department told me that they had just received them 2 days ago, and asked if I thought they were fairly priced ($8.98).

I thought the food selection was okay, but not as extensive as the selection at O Street Aquarium. i didn't see O.S. I. or Omega One foods. I'm happy that all of the local stores are now stocking New Life Spectrum, which is my staple.

Plants were underwhelming,but fairly priced (decent java Ferns at 3/$10). They are not yet fully stocked with fish, so its too early to judge them on that, but the fish they had looked healthy.

Overall, this store definitely has potential, and should only get better as they become fully stocked. I'll definitely be going back after their grand opening this month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts