The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
This is also the best way to design LED lights - as modules to be fitted together to meet the needs of any size tank. (My opinion) They also use the high power Cree LEDs, which is good news. I don't recall seeing these in any USA ads yet, so I wonder what their price will be here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We only have one large publication mag covering general fish keeping in England & these new TMC lights are being tested in the mags office tanks at this moment.
It would seem the marine version light tile is a very effective product but the fresh water plant grow light has yet to have a full trial.
The timer accessory is also said to be very effective as it can offer many variations including a 6 hour build up to full power and 6 hour down power plus full colour change sun rise sun set modes.
The best part for me however is the cost - I think with the current rate of exchange the 500 grow light would cost about $120 & is said to be the equivalent of a 30'' T 5.
I have ordered the grow light but there is a waiting list due to demand!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it arrived today - not sure what to think at the moment!
Nice neat light just like the advertising shows but when I first switched in on in the lounge I was not exactly impressed.
I tried switching off all the room lights & seeing what the hand held effect would be on the room, definitely a bright LED spot light but I dont think it could light up the room anywhere near as well as a T5 or even a T8.
I mean you could not light up the room anywhere other than where the light is pointing, not necessarily a bad thing in the aquarium but I guess I wasn't sure what to expect.
Any how it was not difficult to install the unit, not for me anyhow due to my tank cover being made from wood.
The effect is interesting due to the shimmer effect you get from the unit but it is not as bright as I had hoped however I am not unhappy because at 12 watts this is a seriously bright light - time will tell how well it performs.......
Fox

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK - two days after installing the "12watt" light I can see noticeable activity from the foreground plants directly under the light.
My pogostemon helferi seems to be especially joyous showing changes in colour & form.
The LED seems to have good penetrative power though the water column & in no way as invasive to the room ambience as other shimmer effect or spots lights I have tried.... looking very promising!
NB. The Grolight is an addition to my present fluorescent lighting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have now positioned the light strip right at the front of the tank & only 2'' above the water. I found that when the light was suspended 6'' up the ripple effect was a little to distracting!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well plants are growing well but my question is - I would like to use a basic routine of daily fertilizer dosing, What would you recommend I buy?
I have been using easy life carbo & profito for the last two weeks & it seems to work ok but as I have no thing else to judge against I was just wondering what you views would be?
Thanks Fox.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have read that you can now buy KNO3 and KH2PO4 in the UK. If so, that would be a starting point. Then add a trace element mix, which your profito may be, and you are set to dose per the estimative index method, or any other method, for that matter.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am starting to wonder about my tank set up as it uses a sump.
I initially thought the extra water would provide a more stable environment but it now seems that aspect is unlikely to matter when you carry out a 50% weekly water change.
So my display tank holds 150 lts & the sump holds another 40 lts but weather there is any benefit I dont know?
On the other side of the coin my tank does seem to work & look well?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Foxfish. This is great. Lower running cost, cool, long-lasting and light more directly focused into the tank.

Please keep us posted on progress. What did you replace with this?

AB

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have used all sorts of light over the years & I was using a 250w metal halide last year then I went to T5s.
I still have 120w of fluorescents, the led is placed above the foreground as a supplement & to test its effect.

I was in B&Q today & I noticed that they now sell a range of replacement GU10 bulbs, I bought a 3.7w 3 xLED bulb.
Cost about £11.00 & seems to be very efficient!!
Previous B&Q 1.1w LEDs that I have bought were not very bright but this one seems to have three very bright diodes in the bulb & really does produce a bright light.
(B&Q = hardware store)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts