The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My first post here. Might as well do a little introduction. My name is Jonathan and I'm a 13 year old boy from Orlando, FL. My main hobby is fishkeeping, well anything to do with fish/inverts really. I mainly keep native fish, such as bluegill, bass, sunfish, various minnows, and catfish. Anyways, I'm finally taking a dive into live plants. Which is something I've never really done before. And what's a better way to do that than start a simple planted shrimp tank? I'm astounded of the tanks people have on here. I never really looked at aquascaping as a big part of fishkeeping, something I missed out on big time. I'm pretty much new to the whole concept...now I see that it's really an art. I'm clueless about the scientifcal names. I mean, I keep ants. I know every genus and species. Lasius niger, Dorymyrmex, Attas, Brachymyrmex, etc....But I finally know what it feels like to have no idea what the other person is talking about, heh. A little off topic there, as I was saying I'm taking a dive into freshwater dwarf shrimp, as well as plants. My tank is...err, embarrasing compared to everyone else's. I mean you guys make your 10 gallons look like 30 gallons. I only have some anacharis, and well....some kind of water grass I got from the creek. But I'll be honored to learn from all of you. Though it may take some time. Mostly because everything I do revolves around whether my parents allow it, or buy it, or whatever. But hey, I'm 13. Sooo that ends it...a little...long, but oh well. I'll be lurking around here even if I don't post, happy fish/plant keeping! :)

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Welcome! You are in the right place for learning. I learn something new everyday from the other members here and the exchanging of all the different views and knowledge is amazing. You will not be disappointed and your love for planted tanks is only going to grow, trust me :icon_wink

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Welcome to the board! You're starting off at a good age, once you start high school if you learn enough soon enough on the board some of the science classes are a piece of cake.

Age also can be tough with parents setting limits. I started a while back and know all about it so if you ever are looking for advice on that whole aspect let me know.

Soon you'll realize that the hobby isn't too hard and that the scientific names are of all the plants and shrimp (especially since there are only like 2 main ones for shrimp...)

Just a warning, this is your last chance to turn back!
-Andrew

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm afraid I'm already sucked in. :smile:
Thanks for the welcome. I make with what I have .
I can just head down to the river and go kayaking and pick up a few plants.
But I'm not sure if those will work for me, so I'm just starting fresh.
And this being Florida and all, (biologcial trash dump!) I can already catch cichlids just south of where I live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.