The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past six months I have come back to the hobby in a BIG way.
When I initially had aquaria, I was in college the first time (LOL!!!!) and kind of had the "what a pretty fish, let's buy it " attitude. I am amazed that my fish survived. I recall (and I am not kidding) I had a aranda goldfish in a 20 G with 2 angels and a betta! some lost their eyes but lived.
Anyway, I have a much better approach now. In fact, it may be too scientific, but the fish and plants are teaching me (in my other tanks, of course).
anyway, I recently had a 125 gallon built into a bookshelf in the living room. I am at the hardscape stage of the whole process and want to do this low tech.
this is what I have so far:
tank dimensions 72x 18x 22
lighting: two nova extreme T5HO fixtures: each are 36" with two 39W bulbs each - one is 67K the other 10K in each fixture
10 bags fluorite black
driftwood and rocks

I am doing fishless cycling and will add plants as soon as I get them from my guy. I already posted on the general planted tank discussion board, but want to know HOW to do a plant journal.
I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to do one. I am a science person by training, but photo stuff is new to me so I hope I can get a shot up very soon to see what you think.
I am to be planting the typical suspects java fern on the logs, java moss, variety anubias but need some taller plants as well.
here are photos so far. Please excuse my poor photograpgy skills

Fish will be some schooling species, but I want a little big, and peaceful (maybe roseline shark?)
I absolutely LOVE loaches and have others in my smaller tanks
a pair of dwarf cichilds is in the plan, and of course some algea management crew.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Looks like you figured out the pics! :thumbsup:

I really like the right side, but the DW/rock combo on the left looks like the head of one of those dinosaurs that had spikes sticking out all around their heads... (I've probably been watching too much TV today ROFL).

That's a great tank, and you've got tons of room to play with! My next big tank I'm personally going to have schools of Congo tetras and Boesmani rainbows...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agree with lauraleellbp. Love the large driftwood on the right side, not so sure about the smaller piece on the left. Once plants grow in, it will probably look better, but I would try flipping it over and seeing how that looks. Will look more like a natural stump then. Beautiful tank though, and with that size, you have so many options!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tank "setback"

well, it looks like you guys are going to get to see a rearrangement of the hardscape after all. I awoke yesterday 3:30am to the sound of water from the living room and walked in to find that the tank was squirting water from the BOTTOM rim and flooding the living room.
Needless to say this is NOT a good way to wake up. Had to empty the tank STAT and I guess about 30 gallons still ended up on the floor. HOURS AND HOURS of moving wood, rock and fluorite and then sop vac, carpet clean etc, etc. As an aside, that shamWOW you see on info-mercials really is AMAZING - got it for Xmas. (although I did not say "wow" every time I used it, as promised on the commercial)
After emtpying the whole thing out, I see NO PROBLEM. Called the aquarium place that installed the tank and they feel (at this point) that it was a faulty seal.
They are supposed to come this weekend and get the tank, check out the problem. The store mgr assures me that they will "make this right" and I believe him. We'll see what the OWNER says, but I have no reason to doubt that they will do the right thing and replace my tank, Especially in light of the potential damage that I (hopefully averted) by working my butt off all day cleaning up the mess.
so, starting over is a pain, but better now than after FISH and PLANTS were in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.