The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks to the postings on here, I hit the following stores:

I hit Aquarium Center in Clementon, NJ on my way home from work yesterday afternoon (I work at APG in MD (stay in the area during the week) and my primary residence is in Jackson, NJ till I relocate to MD in about 2-3 weeks). Very nice selection of equipment and fish. Had a pretty good selection of Shrimp and Plants there. Pricing wasn't too bad vs what I've seen online and in other shops. Weridest/funniest thing there was walking past the tank they had a full of Figure 8 puffers....every time I walked past they where following me to each side of the tank while walking by. One who was at the back of the tank came flying up to the front of the tank when I walked past a second time.

Today I hit the following with the GF in tow:

I hit Sharkeys in Point Pleasant first in the AM at lunchtime. They just opened up earlier this year, and I just found out about them from here a couple days ago. Nice small shop..tanks are very clean and mostly freshwater vs saltwater. Very good selection of equipment. Has a nice plant tank with small Angels and Discus. Had a nice shrimp tank setup on a stand, it was a from a major manufacture, but I can't remember what the name was.

I winded up coming back here at the end of the day. I've been wanting to get a 7.5 gallon edgeless tank to setup in my new house for a planted shrimp tank and had my heart set on a Mr Aqua 12x12x12 Cube tank. While I was in Sharkey's he had a deal for 3 Edgeless Pico tanks...one 7.5, another 4.3 and a 2.2 gallon all for $71 bucks, which was only $14 bucks more then what I would have paid for a Mr Aqua 7.5 Gal after shipping. I'm not sure of the brand, as the owner mentioned them to me but now I'm drawing a blank. I'll post pics if interested. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the 4.3 Gal tank yet, but the 2.2 gal is most likely going to be a Betta tank, but I have to figure out how to close off the top so he doesn't be come cat food :) I also winded up getting 4 Bee or Golden Banded Gobies and 2 Otto cats to join my 29 Gallon Biocube that I have set up.

I left Sharkeys and hopped on the Parkway to Fishtown USA up in Ramsey..bit of a hike. Nice shop, though some of the tanks had a bit of algae in them. I winded up buying a rock for my tank here, and it set me back $32! Never thought I'd pay that much for a rock ever in my life, but its a nice 10 lb rock that is now residing in my Bio cube so my shrimp and bee gobies have something to relax on. Pricing was a bit higher up here, similar to Absolutely Fish. Seems like they where out of the shrimp people where talking about in other threads, but they had these really cool dark color shrimp there, but no idea on the pricing of them.

I started heading south again and I stopped at Absolutely Fish. I've been here before...and I won't repeat what has been said before about pricing etc. But they do have a great selection of livestock here that is very healthy. They had a awesome Saltwater Lionfish that was about the size of a small ball and cost $300 bucks! I never seen one that big. Had a couple tanks of shrimp, one with small Japicona Shrimp and another with large ones. Some of the small ones surprised me...they looked like Juveniles, but from what I understand, Japricona shrimp are hard to breed due to need of brackish water then freshwater. The also have an awesome "forever" saltwater that actually filters the water outside of the tank, just to see that is worth the trip.

The last stop before heading home was Animal and things in Woodbridge. I've also been here, and well seems like their tanks might have been hit by the power outages from the Hurricane last week...they where in pretty rough shape. They have a really good selection of fish tanks and equipment, but I wouldn't touch their life stock with a 10ft pole. The other attraction of the store are the puppies and kittens...they had a cute French Bulldog and a male Maine **** kitten there today.

Overall, I was most impressed by Sharkeys...I wish I knew about them earlier, since I've been sending my GF up to Tropicaqurim for blackworms for my Bee Gobies and he carries live food. Overall a good selection of fairly priced equipment and livestock.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have never been to
Sharky's
FISHTOWN USA
ABSOLUTE FISH
I have to say my favorite so far is tropaquarium
they just fixed my Eheim 2213 and it only cost me $8.00
was very happy with that.

I have read alot about a small LFS in Hackensack -Kasmirs --or something like that- that has alot of plants and the prices are OK.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Where is tropaquarium? I always go to The Hiddenreef in Levittown, PA. It is very good. Price is also ok.

I have never been to
Sharky's
FISHTOWN USA
ABSOLUTE FISH
I have to say my favorite so far is tropaquarium
they just fixed my Eheim 2213 and it only cost me $8.00
was very happy with that.

I have read alot about a small LFS in Hackensack -Kasmirs --or something like that- that has alot of plants and the prices are OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.