The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was just browsing kickstarter and noticed a jellyfish tank that is being made by jelly fish art that company that has been around for a while without really producing an excellent kreisel for an affordable price, well now they've kinda nailed it. It is simple, a bit over priced still, but will one up my mini m for sure if I manage to get one.

I'm not affiliated with them or anything, but if you're interested here is the link.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1497255984/desktop-jellyfish-tank?ref=category

For anyone who knows about these things the one issue is they like it pretty cool, so chillers are usually required. If you're in a hot area it might be tough to keep the temp down low enough, but I'm no expert.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Friend of mine showed me that a few months ago. Been seriously considering it since then. Guess there's only a few more days to pre-order and I don't have the cash right now. Oh well....

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I looked at this thread a few days back when it was first posted and I thought that the idea was really neat. I showed it to a friend of mine who used to own a saltwater/reef store, and he told me that jellyfish are apparently REALLY hard to keep in most systems because in marine tanks a lot of flow is important (both for filtration and for oceanic simulation purposes) and that this flow bangs up the jellyfish pretty badly, eventually killing them. They frequently get sucked into intakes as well. He was not exactly sure about this particular design, so if anyone actually has one of these I would be interested to see how it works out. Jellyfish are cool animals, and I bet that a display of them would be very cool to see. Thanks for posting this. (BTW, my friend has been out of the saltwater trade for many years, and it could be that things have changed a bit since then...)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Friend of mine showed me that a few months ago. Been seriously considering it since then. Guess there's only a few more days to pre-order and I don't have the cash right now. Oh well....
Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat, I *could* order it as a "business purchase" but I need to buy more inventory. So I'm going to buy one after Christmass.

I looked at this thread a few days back when it was first posted and I thought that the idea was really neat. I showed it to a friend of mine who used to own a saltwater/reef store, and he told me that jellyfish are apparently REALLY hard to keep in most systems because in marine tanks a lot of flow is important (both for filtration and for oceanic simulation purposes) and that this flow bangs up the jellyfish pretty badly, eventually killing them. They frequently get sucked into intakes as well. He was not exactly sure about this particular design, so if anyone actually has one of these I would be interested to see how it works out. Jellyfish are cool animals, and I bet that a display of them would be very cool to see. Thanks for posting this. (BTW, my friend has been out of the saltwater trade for many years, and it could be that things have changed a bit since then...)
Wetworks, I've been following the jellyfish scene (or lack there of) for the past few years. This is the best unit I've ever seen for under $1,000. They are extremely difficult to keep and more like seasonal cut flowers than anything. Fortunately I have a local source of jellyfish over the summer so that'll be covered for a bit and probably won't need to buy any if I get lucky.

With that said I'm a bit concerned about the filtration and may modify this unit.

Oh, and Kickstarter is awesome. I personally try and stay away from it so that I don't accidentally spend my life savings over an hour but yeah, it is awesome.

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for addressing my question Andrew. If you do get one, and have success with it please post your results and some pics!
I still plan to buy one in January or so, but a friend of mine and I were talking tonight at dinner and he has access to lab stuff at ASU and wants to build his own Krysel so probably within the next month or two we will be having some fun.

I need something to make my Mini M look bad, and he wants to DIY one so it'll be a fun time.

Maybe I'll toss some dinoflagellates into the mix as well?

Photos will come in due time.

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a few things come up and probably won't be purchasing one until next semester once I find a place to live.

Although I will have a jellyfish tank before I graduate from College. since having a mini m setup isn't all that unique anymore.

-Andrew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.