The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that in a couple of my tanks, some of the java fern is propagating through the usual method: cloning itself through the spores on the leaf. But here's the interesting thing: a few ferns are propagating through their roots. I've never seen, read, or heard about this before. There are many little plantlets growing straight out of the roots of the parent plant.

Has anyone had the same experience? I can't find any online articles that mention java fern propagation through the roots.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I have java fern in my tanks that does that a lot. I tied it onto a branch of driftwood and as the rhisome grows new leaves push out and choke the old growth. I've noticed it tends to happen in older settled javas. Mine has been with me for the better part of a decade, it took the better part of 2 years before I noticed this behaviour.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a photo of some roots with their plantlets (i removed a bunch a while ago and put the babies in my larger tank so there is only a couple left).

At the bottom there is also a leaf with it's own plantlets.

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Grass Aquatic plant

Here's a propagate from my original, those small stubs are leaves starting on roots. That section of rhizome started spreading 2 months ago. This is how I've experienced this form of propagation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts