The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just planted a Java Fern last night in a new tank that I have just started to cycle. Rhizome tied to driftwood with black thread. Now there is a ghostly white film with a radius of about 0.5" around the stem. Can't get a picture to turn out that shows it. Does anybody know what that could be?

10G tank. 15W T8 8000k. Aqueon 10 filter. pH 7.4.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've seen some sort of microbe grow on driftwood before that sounds like that stuff. I'm guessing it was growing on sugars that were leeching out of driftwood that hadn't been dead all that long.

Hard to say with the info provided, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still can't get a picture to come out with any decent amount of detail. I pulled most of the white stuff off, but it's started to come back. It had the consistency of mucus. Also, the leaves of the Java Fern are starting to go brown around the edges. All other plants in the tank (Anubias, Crypt, Watersprite) seem fine. Any idea what might be happening here? Tank is still cycling and I'm not dosing anything yet. Should I pick up some Flourish and give it a try?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upon further examination, now that I'm home from work, the brown on the leaves of the Java Fern mostly rubbed off during the water change tonight. I used my fingers and it came right off. I did notice, now, that my Anubias has some leaves that are starting to yellow/brown. Will Flourish help with that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
pH 7.4 - 7.6, NH3 = 0 - 0.25, NO2 = 0, NO3 = 0. API test kit.

I'm dropping a small pinch of flake in the aquarium daily to cycle without fish, but haven't seen an ammonia reading yet. I test every 3 days or so. I don't know how to tell if I'm not using enough or if the plants are absorbing everything. This is the first time I've done a fishless cycle in a planted tank, so I'm still trying to figure out how this all works. Thanks for all your help everybody.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the brown stuff on the leaves of the Java Fern might have been diatom algae. I had a couple of tiny hitchhiker snails show up in the tank about 2 weeks after I planted. They have eaten all of the brown stuff and now the leaves are covered with small bits of snail feces (partly a reason for my question in the equiptment thread on adding flow/filtration). Is having diatom algae in the tank now a good thing as far as cycling goes, or is there now a problem I'm not seeing?

Thanks again for all the help everybody. It's amazing how the smallest details become huge concerns when you're new at this and want to do things right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all. I know I've got a lot of different questions on different topic threads. If somebody could take a quick second and let me know if I'm on the right track with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.