The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this giant monstrosity of a Java fern at the pet shop today. It's not the healthiest thing and it's covered in lots of tiny little babies, Java moss and what looks like it might be BBA. It's in my five gallon with a bunch of pond snails and ghost shrimp. I tied it to some wood with a piece of yarn. Any advice on how to get it looking better?

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Clean off the java moss, dip the plant in H2O2, Excel, bleach, or other algae killer of choice. If you want the babies (snails I assume), then don't pick them off, but otherwise, get those off too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
By babies I assume you mean little Java fern plants. I had a Java fern completely explode in tiny plants. Each one took part of the leaf with it. I would suggest waiting until each little plant is about 1/2"-1" then cut them free from the leaf, and now you have a lot more little Java plants. When mine did this the leaf did not survive, but new leaves grew from the rhizome.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I see it growing new leaves from the rhizome, and I'd honestly just cut off the old leaves. They look really tattered, that's a lot of algae, and the leaves won't heal. It might take a month or so, but you'll like how it looks so much better once it's all healthy again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.