The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short....
Multiple changes in my household as well as tanks and filters, etc. I was cycling an old tank as the filter failed and im still waiting on a new one. 80 days later with all old media, and a sponge filter. I blindly did a water change- and added a couple endlers from other tanks I had.
But noticed the 'white spots' on the glass. They are definitely an organism. I thought danfia- but they dont swim, just stagnant (the white in the water is the extra bubler I put in there mixed with a water change atfer I noticed the 'dudes'). But I dont know what?
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Like...the things in the tank just sit there? If they don't move for some time, and look like shells, they may be freshwater limpets (harmless). If they do move and have legs, they might be copepods. If they don't have legs and still move, then they could be some sort of worm...

Can we get better pictures of what you're trying to show us? All I see is a blog and a lot of tinier blobs....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like...the things in the tank just sit there? If they don't move for some time, and look like shells, they may be freshwater limpets (harmless). If they do move and have legs, they might be copepods. If they don't have legs and still move, then they could be some sort of worm...

Can we get better pictures of what you're trying to show us? All I see is a blog and a lot of tinier blobs....

Thanks for the response!!!!.... Definitely freshwater limpets.

Any idea how to get rid of them? I can throw in an assassin snail (but I read mixed reviews online as to whether or not that works)

Edit: Im still confused as to why they reared their dodgy heads after the tank has been uninhabited for nearly 6 months. When it was active (for about 2 years.... never saw one). Nothing new in the tank- I guess it is just a perfect storm.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Uhhh....it depends on what you're willing to do really. Bleach kills them. So does a saltwater environment I think. But those will kill off your biofilter. You can always scrape them off the glass and suck them out of the tank, but it'll be hard to fully eradicate them since they're so small...

I see no reason why you should though? They'll go away at some point, and in the meantime they'll help keep your glass clean by eating the biofilm on it.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uhhh....it depends on what you're willing to do really. Bleach kills them. So does a saltwater environment I think. But those will kill off your biofilter. You can always scrape them off the glass and suck them out of the tank, but it'll be hard to fully eradicate them since they're so small...

I see no reason why you should though? They'll go away at some point, and in the meantime they'll help keep your glass clean by eating the biofilm on it.
I think i jut might increase my CO2, and go from there?
They are just unsightly. Thanks for the reply. Ill scrap away, just dont desire 50 plus in a 10 gallon :|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.