The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new house and no longer have my RO water filter and don’t want to deal with another one. My fish are not used to these new parameters.

My tap comes out a ridiculous 210 ppm GH and 160 ppm KH, 7.8/8.0 PH, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 phosphates.

Now before anyone says that water is perfect for a marine tank, cichlids, or goldfish...I really only want community fish.

And I’m concerned this water is going to tear up my buffering Controsoil.

I really don’t want to put special media in my filter to circumvent these issues.

I’ll live with it killing my substrate but just wanted to know if anyone else keeps peaceful community fish with similar parameters and anything or any fish tips to give.

My plan was for some neons, gouramis and platies with some DHG carpet and a couple large bonsai trees with Christmas moss on them. 60 gallon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My tap water is similar to yours: PH 8.2, GH 251 ppm, and KH 125 ppm. I have kept community tanks in these parameters, including one with mostly Southeast Asian fish:

I have just setup a tank with dwarf rainbowfish, odessa barbs, panda garras and cories:

This one has been running only for few weeks, but so far so good.

You should be fine with tank-bred fish. Just avoid wild caught fish from acid/soft water.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
^^ agreed. There are also some community fish that do well in harder water. CPDs/Rosy Loaches/Goldring Danios come to mind, as well as most livebearers and puffers.

The platies will most likely love the super hard water. Less so the gouramis and the neons.

·
Registered
667 Posts
So many of the community fish available from our LFS are spawned and reared in outdoor ponds in the Tampa FL vicinity, where the water is just as hard or even harder than yours. Your fish will be fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought a new house and no longer have my RO water filter and don’t want to deal with another one.
i'm going to guess this refers to something plumbed in and if so you could try one of the £50 cheapo units and hang outside from an S hook , connect to the garden hose and leave it to fill up a water butt with RO and water the plants with calcium soup, if freezing likely take it down and leave in the garage between uses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.