The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just closed on a new house on Monday. I'm super excited, although it needs a ton of work and we won't be moving in for several months. The best part... it's directly on the Braden River! I'm buying myself a canoe and going on a search for more plants!

Attachments

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Congrats!!!

Who cares if it's a fixer-upper- it's waterfront! :drool:

Ya gotta lose those punk trees, though. Ugh.

(Did you get your real estate agent to tell you what the house was worth back in 2005? LOL)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats!!!

Ya gotta lose those punk trees, though. Ugh.

(Did you get your real estate agent to tell you what the house was worth back in 2005? LOL)

I'm actually a real estate appraiser and my agent happens to be my dad who also happens to be a real estate appraiser :hihi:

The tree man is coming on monday.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Well I'm sure you got a great deal on it- there are so many amazing deals out there now!

My husband is a Broker and is sooo itching to try and snag a waterfront property. He sold a 2500 sqft canalfront house (direct Naples Bay to Gulf access) a few weeks ago for just over $500k and I think he wanted to cry he was so jealous! lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually super stoked about the location. It's in a neighborhood that was an old fishing village platted back in the 40's. Almost every house is on the river, some places on both sides of the street. There is a historic park nearby on a giant lake, Lake Ward, which is the sole source of drinking water for the city of Bradenton. Another great bonus I found out today... my power company isn't FPL!!!!!! Its the Peace River Energy Co-op. Check them out. They are not for profit, owned completely by customers, have a board of directors that are elected by customers, etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm sure you got a great deal on it- there are so many amazing deals out there now!

My husband is a Broker and is sooo itching to try and snag a waterfront property. He sold a 2500 sqft canalfront house (direct Naples Bay to Gulf access) a few weeks ago for just over $500k and I think he wanted to cry he was so jealous! lol
Haha the great deals are out there right now! Just bug him to show you the MLS system and spend a few hours cruising the listings. That's how I found this place.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Haha the great deals are out there right now! Just bug him to show you the MLS system and spend a few hours cruising the listings. That's how I found this place.
Oh I work for him so I'm on MLS too LOL I try NOT to look too much, b/c we won't be able to sell the house we're in for a longggggg time. We may try renting it out if something comes along next year and we're in a position to buy- but I'm not holding my breath.

Actually, I love my house. I just wish we could pick it up and move it! It's so true- Location, Location, Location!

And you GOT it! :proud:

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yikes.

Most stuff doesn't scare me, but mold is something that does. Personally, I wouldn't touch a house with visible mold unless I were already planning to take it back to the studs and get an entirely new HVAC system, etc. I've got too many friends who've had serious respiratory issues that the docs tell them came from mold in old houses.

Do you have to hook up to sewer, or can you stay on septic?

EDIT- actually, Grow houses do scare me more than mold houses... but that's a whole other can of worms

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, I love my house. I just wish we could pick it up and move it!/QUOTE]

It's been done before. Actually, when I lived in Orlando, there was a huge house on a great lot, that they had built a new highway interchange RIGHT next to. I would always drive by and think, wow what a great house in a crappy location. Then one day I drove by and the entire house (2500+ sq. ft. 2-story) was on 2 semi trailers. Then a few weeks later I happened to drive by and they had TAKEN DOWN ALL THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS, blocked the road, and were driving the house down state road 50, taking up all 3 lanes! I guess they found a better location.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yikes.

Most stuff doesn't scare me, but mold is something that does. Personally, I wouldn't touch a house with visible mold unless I were already planning to take it back to the studs and get an entirely new HVAC system, etc. I've got too many friends who've had serious respiratory issues that the docs tell them came from mold in old houses.

Do you have to hook up to sewer, or can you stay on septic?

EDIT- actually, Grow houses do scare me more than mold houses... but that's a whole other can of worms
I actually misspoke. Its already on sewer but the well is broken and public water is right in the street. I'm just going to pay the $3000+ impact fees to hook up, and not worry about well water with my fish tanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.