The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been battling hair algae and even some diatoms in my tank after moving to an new house. I had established media and aquasoil plus tons of plants. I wasn't expecting to have such a battle on my hands. Going on 7 months without success in beating back the algae. I have even stooped to using Excel (something I promised I wouldn't do). I just started it so no idea if its working.

I just got an API phosphate test kit. I tested the tap water and was stunned that it was off the chart. 10+ppm with no idea how high it is. I think this might be contributing to my issues (sheesh).

1) Is there a treatment that can remove the phosphate from the tap water before I add to the tank?
2) what is the best in tank phosphate absorption method?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can assure you that’s not your problem. Hair algae is the result of an imbalance, either CO2 or lack of ferts, not too much. Your phosphate reading just means that’s something you don’t need to dose, if the reading is even accurate. I’d take multiple tests and get the median range to see how accurate it is.

some more specs of your tank would assist in figuring out your tanks issue (ferts, co2, lighting, etc. Pictures as well.)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Like mentioned above I would make a reference solution to make sure your reading is correct. If you are using the API kit they can be off by quite a bit. Better to be sure before making false assumptions.

And even if PO4 is high, it's unlikey your issue. I dose my incoming to water to 10 ppm PO4, and no issues like hair algae.

If you really want help, it's best to list as much information as you can about the tank, along with pictures. Always better to take a holistic approach. Folks giving advice without knowing anything about your tank other than your tap PO4 measurement are just taking a wild guess.

Font Number

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
As others have said: the PO4, by itself, won’t cause hair algae.

@Greggz suggestion is the best way to verify that your API test kit is working, but you may not have those salts readily available. Before buying them, you might be able to verify the test kit by testing it on distilled water. If you get any positive reading with distilled water, throw the kit away. If you get a zero reading, then you’ll have to buy the salts if you want to verify that the test kit is good.

To give you an idea of the type of info that would help us better uderstand your problem, please provide the following detail (ignore questions you’ve already answered):

• How long has the tank been setup?
  • Light (make & model): ideally, PAR and PUR reading/estimate at the substrate and photoperiod? Search this forum to help with this.
  • CO2 setup (if any) and, if you inject CO2 (pressurized or DIY?), what is the CO2 ppm level, how is it measured and how is it timed with your photoperiod?
  • Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings and which test kits/devices are used for each?
  • What you are dosing (product and quantity), in terms of ppm, and how often? This calculator will help: Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Calculators & Information
  • Substrate type and how long has it been in place?
  • What hardscape (stones, driftwood, etc.) is being used, if any?
  • What is your filter setup?
  • Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
  • Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
  • What is your water source and do you use a water softener?
  • What is your tank size?

To kill hair algae with Excel, you need to do a one-time dose of, at least, 1ml / gallon of tank water. It should turn pink/red in about 3 days, indicating death.

Reactions: Greggz
1 - 5 of 5 Posts