The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

Recently Setup my 1st 60l high tech tank after many years away from the hobby and am looking for some advice on the startup period.

The tank is setup with ADA amazonia II with powersand advance under it with a twinstar 600s III at 70% for 6 hours with a 30 min ramp up and down before and after.

Ive been doing 50% water changes for the last 3 days since ive started it and plan to do that every day until ive reached 1 week then changing to 50% every 2 days. The water in there is fresh made RODI (since my water here in north Florida is basically liquid rock) and ive been re-miniralizing to around 120tds.

Plants in the tank are:
Cryptocoryne Parva Mini
Rotala Green
Rotala Macrandra Mini Red
Rotala H'ra
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'

my big questions are:
how gradually should i up the lighting intensity to 100? its at 70% for 6 hours atm
How long should i continue 2 day water changes before its safe to go to weekly.
the Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini" seems to be rapidly melting its lower leaves. Ive read that this is a bit expected as it transitions but still has me worried about a spike. Should i prune the dead leaves or would that potentially cause more harm to the plant as it transitions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I typically work up in 10% and 1 hour intervals, I usually focus on increasing time before intensity, I don't honestly know why.

Water change every 2 days for 1 week, then 2X 1 week then once a week thereafter.

My suggestion is to remove dead/ melted leaves and plant matter but leave the roots, that normally works. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think you’ll just have to see what the algae response is for the lighting and scale as appropriate. I’d at least give each setting 3 days to watch for algae. I think duration is more important than intensity as well, as I think that has more of an effect on algae issues. With intensity I’m more worried about scorching my plants.

I went about a month of daily or two day changes before switching to weekly with my Amazonia, but I didn’t particularly mind doing them. I could tell that the water was still a bit nutrient rich (surface film, bubbles) after a week so I kept at it.

Yup, trim off the dead leaves. They’re already dead or dying. It won’t cause more harm and if anything it will stimulate new growth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you’ll just have to see what the algae response is for the lighting and scale as appropriate. I’d at least give each setting 3 days to watch for algae. I think duration is more important than intensity as well, as I think that has more of an effect on algae issues. With intensity I’m more worried about scorching my plants.

I went about a month of daily or two day changes before switching to weekly with my Amazonia, but I didn’t particularly mind doing them. I could tell that the water was still a bit nutrient rich (surface film, bubbles) after a week so I kept at it.

Yup, trim off the dead leaves. They’re already dead or dying. It won’t cause more harm and if anything it will stimulate new growth.
Thanks for the input! I guess my next question is how long before i should start adding additional hours to the lighting period.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For me it’s been more of viewing preference. If you can, leaving it at a shorter period for longer or making the transition/acclimation period longer is better. What’s your goal? I think it will come down to how patient you are :) If things are looking good at 6 hours a day, I wouldn’t rush to change it.

My marine lights have the ability to acclimate over a set period of time, so if your light or timer can do that you could just increment daily in order to add an hour or two over the course of a month.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My primary concern with the lighting period / intensity comes down to the Rotala Macrandra Mini Reds since they seem to not be responding as well as the Rotala Green and H'ra which are already showing signs of new leaves and have picked themselves up.

In this picture is H'ra (left) Green(middle) and the Macrandra mini (right) not looking so hot

I know from reading that the Rotala Macrandra Mini needs high light so i fear 6 hrs / 70% isn't enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.