The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Im new to the site but I have lurked around here for a while. I have a 75 gallon tank that is a work in progress. Its been set up now for about 6 months. I run 250 watts (x2 110 vhos and a 40 watt Flr.) for about 9 and half hours a day. C02 is feed in at 3 bpm with the help of 5lb tank and reg. The diffusion is done with a in line diffuser run off of a powerhead. I am constantly messing with the layout trying to get some sort of form to it. Heres some pics of how the tanks looks now. Its not the best looking tank but I think Im on the right track lol. I had a algea break out but its under controll now so you can see some of that in the pics. Be honest with how you think it looks, I want to make it better so all comments are welcomed.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Aside from the algae break out, I think it shows alot of potential. I am by no means a professional, or anything relatively close. Take my words with a grain of salt. Or, even less, your choice.

There are alot of things I really like about it.You have a nice variety of wide leaved and thin leaved plants. However, they all seem to the in the back half of the tank. Foreground is all well and good, but foreground is even better, if theres something there to define it. Now it's just open gravel thats collection mulm (which would look more pleasing and probably help with the algae problem if you vaccumed it up).

Secondly, you have a nice selection of plants, I especially like the little splash of red, but they are all the same height. You'll find the groups look more impressive if you slope them. Varying heights makes it more intersting. Not to say that several inches difference is better, but a bit could make it more interesting.

Thirdly, thats a nice piece of drift wood. Put it someplace where you can really show it off. Currently, it looks kind of shoved randomly in the corner to be ignored as your eye passed over the top of the rest of the plants. Move it more to the left, about 1/3 of the way in, maybe even a little more. It will be more dramatic that way. Personally, I like the look of bare wood, but theres something to be said for moss growing on top of it. You might also find a nice anubias or bunch of java fern to tuck in the intersection of the 2 braches to make it more interesting.

The single rock in the middle of the tank is distracting, lose it.

The plants look in pretty rough shape. It might be worth it to invest in some healthier specimins. It's probably just me, but I've never had any luck with bringing plants back after such a hard hit.

Other then that, it looks lovely. The crypts are particularly thick and lush. I'm quite envious.

·
Registered
888 Posts
:eek5: :eek5:
Darn...You have me drooled to death on your tank.:mad: :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pooky125 for all the advice and compliments. I hope you dont mind if I ask you a couple things about them lol.
Now it's just open gravel thats collection mulm
I feel that way too about the tank. I was thinking some gloso or maybe dwarf hair grass would solve this, what do you think?
Secondly, you have a nice selection of plants, I especially like the little splash of red, but they are all the same height.
Again I feel the same way. I have researched some styles and I like the look of a concaved look. If I trimed the giant mass of plants on the right side to slope down towards the center, you think that would help out? As for the the other side, I need to find something to do the same with there.
thats a nice piece of drift wood. Put it someplace where you can really show it off
I do like this peice of wood alot, but I have looked online at tanks and I thought if i had two peices similar on each side it would look nice. Im still looking for the other peice lol.
The plants look in pretty rough shape. It might be worth it to invest in some healthier specimins.
Are you referring to all the plants or just some of them?
Thanks for your help, I hope you dont think im picking apart your adivce. Im just trying to get all i can from your ideas. :D
lol Thanks for your compliment Bluebell

·
Registered
869 Posts
I feel that way too about the tank. I was thinking some gloso or maybe dwarf hair grass would solve this, what do you think?
Both would be nice. If your up for a little higher maintanence, you could also you riccia. If you want less maintanence, what about HC? Or, if you have LOTS of patience, Crypt. parva? Any of the above would look great. I'm THINKING glosso should do ok with that much light, but you might want to get a second opinion.

Again I feel the same way. I have researched some styles and I like the look of a concaved look. If I trimed the giant mass of plants on the right side to slope down towards the center, you think that would help out? As for the the other side, I need to find something to do the same with there.
Definitally! You might want to look for something a darker shade of green, maybe even into a soft orangish color for the left side though. To much of the same color makes it a little overwhelming, and you can't see the variation as much.

I do like this peice of wood alot, but I have looked online at tanks and I thought if i had two peices similar on each side it would look nice. Im still looking for the other peice lol.
Ah, yeah, I understand. Finding the right piece can be difficult. For my last tank, I never did, and never quite got the look I was looking for...

Are you referring to all the plants or just some of them?
Some of them look a little rough around the edges, some look fine. It might just be the picture or, the current, massive glare on my computer screen.

Thanks for your help, I hope you dont think im picking apart your adivce. Im just trying to get all i can from your ideas.
Pick apart at your leisure. That's why I posted.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
For the front, I think some E. tenellus or dwarf sag would really fill in your foreground and look nice. They have the added benefit of spreading quickly too.

The algae you have is something that I've been very successful at fighting with Seachem Flourish Excel. I can't say enough good stuff about this product. For a tank your size, it may get expensive to do all the time, but I bet it would really clear stuff up. I think the deals at Big Al's online were the best I've found. If I were you I'd get either the 2L or the 4L jug. You can get enough to last you a very long time for just around $40, and it really is worth every penny.

I like your idea of adding driftwood on the other side, but make sure it is the same type of wood, but has a significantly different shape. I dislike tanks that look like they have matching bookends on either side. Maybe something short and fat that twists up the opposite way of your original piece?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like your Idea about the Drift wood Jen, thanks. I tried cutting the left side down to slope towards the middle but I dont think it produced the look i want. Lol I just cant seem to figure out what to do with this tank, its very hard making a good looking planted tank, isnt it. Maybe I should just rescape the back wall. Any ideas on that? I also added some microsword all around the front and some java moss to the wood. I will get some pics up of what I have done in a few.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts