The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, is there any vivarium experts in here that dont mind answering easy questions? I'm really enjoying my vivs and I'm currently building my third(for dart frogs) im dabbling in breeding as well(soon dart frogs...currently Leo's and brown anoles)so if there is any expert breeders I would love to talk to you as well! Cheers planted tank friends!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not an expert but have set up and maintained a few vivs and palls. Cute set ups!! If they are basic easy questions I might be able to help.
Definitely not an expert but have set up and maintained a few vivs and palls. Cute set ups!! If they are basic easy questions I might be able to help.
Hello!
First, for the bigger tank(30 gal) how long will it take springtails to spread out? I dropped a colony in a couple weeks ago in one corner and I dont think they have spread out at all?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've never only dumped in one corner, when I did viv work I had charcoal culture springs and used the dunk and pick method and dropped them where I wanted them. NEHERP - Vivarium Construction 102 - The most complete vivarium building articles online! this is a good article about the basics. I've used it as reference for people that have wanted me to set their vivs up for them- I'll scape for them but I won't stock anymore because I'm retired and I'm barely patient enough to properly stock my tanks lol. A lot of springs will die in transport, it happens. How packed is your media? If they can't dig through your media they won't really spread. Awesome critters, great clean up crew member!! Sorry I couldn't answer you better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never only dumped in one corner, when I did viv work I had charcoal culture springs and used the dunk and pick method and dropped them where I wanted them. NEHERP - Vivarium Construction 102 - The most complete vivarium building articles online! this is a good article about the basics. I've used it as reference for people that have wanted me to set their vivs up for them- I'll scape for them but I won't stock anymore because I'm retired and I'm barely patient enough to properly stock my tanks lol. A lot of springs will die in transport, it happens. How packed is your media? If they can't dig through your media they won't really spread. Awesome critters, great clean up crew member!! Sorry I couldn't answer you better
I dumped the springs in a corner that had a tiny bit of mold(every single one, charcoal and all), they DESTROYED the mold in like a half a day but now there is a tiny bit in the complete opposite corner, so you are saying I should have spread them out? Also, I bought a 100 ct tropical spring culture(maybe 30 died) is that enough to manage a 30 gallon tall? My media is just right(I think) I used a 40/60 blend of coco fiber and natural potting soil then I broke up about a pound of NZ sphagnum moss into the 60/40 mix......its not super packed, dubias,crickets,meal worms and medium sized isos can all manage it......what humidity do these guys like to operate at? I keep mine between 60-70%(heavy misting, in-tank humidifier,I keep 3/4s of the screen top covered with a moisture proof mat)hopefully I didnt kill them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dumped the springs in a corner that had a tiny bit of mold(every single one, charcoal and all), they DESTROYED the mold in like a half a day but now there is a tiny bit in the complete opposite corner, so you are saying I should have spread them out? Also, I bought a 100 ct tropical spring culture(maybe 30 died) is that enough to manage a 30 gallon tall? My media is just right(I think) I used a 40/60 blend of coco fiber and natural potting soil then I broke up about a pound of NZ sphagnum moss into the 60/40 mix......its not super packed, dubias,crickets,meal worms and medium sized isos can all manage it......what humidity do these guys like to operate at? I keep mine between 60-70%(heavy misting, in-tank humidifier,I keep 3/4s of the screen top covered with a moisture proof mat)hopefully I didnt kill them
By the way thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
They require a very high amount of moisture. From what I was reading about mixed media cultures they require a soaking in the media that they're in to cultivate. The vivs I kept stayed in the 70% range but the ones that were alive didn't need to be water cultivated. That being said when I received them there were usually about 80% of them dead so I'd say you've got the better end of the stick. I'm just glad I could help a little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They require a very high amount of moisture. From what I was reading about mixed media cultures they require a soaking in the media that they're in to cultivate. The vivs I kept stayed in the 70% range but the ones that were alive didn't need to be water cultivated. That being said when I received them there were usually about 80% of them dead so I'd say you've got the better end of the stick. I'm just glad I could help a little.
Should I add more springs to the viv or just wait for them to spread?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.