The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am New here. My name is Ben and am from WI.

I just started playing around with live plants in my tanks and have tried tying my java moss onto my malaysian driftwood, but my fish just picked it all off right away. Now I see post of people saying to use super glue to attach the moss, but how much glue do I use? Put some all over the wood and then just sprinkle the moss on? Or do I just glue the very bottom of the moss pieces to the wood?

Sorry for the dumb question but am new like I said and am eager to learn!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Ben. Welcome!

What kind of fish do you have? Some fish eat plants. Some fish don't. There are plants that even the plant eaters don't find very palatable.

Maybe try dropping in algae tablets or veggie flakes and perhaps your fish will decide to leave your plants alone.

Julia

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and welcoming Julia.

For fish I have Mbuna's (African Cichlids). They are Yellow Labs, Yellow Tailed Acei, Demasoni, and some Cy. Afra Jalo Reefs. I also put some in my Calvus/Multi tank too.

I have had Jungle Val and a Marimo Moss Ball in with the Mbuna for about 4 months and they havent really touched either of them so I thought I would give some moss a shot and see what happens.

I will try the algae wafers more often then I have been feeding them and see if that helps any.

Once again thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Be careful with plants with your mbuna. I tried anubias, onion plants, vals... all were eaten. Not necessarily right away but in time everything was just a dead stump, and the remaining bulb from the onion plants stinks really bad when it rots! I finally just gave up with plants with the mbuna. Some love lettuce too, I used to put leaves of green leaf lettuce in the tanks and they'd be gone in minutes. If you try the algae wafers I'd break them into smaller pieces- the whole wafer will become mush if they don't eat it and will make the tank dirty quickly.

Oh, and some plants just won't do well in hard water, if you are supplementing your water to rift lake levels. Of course, this also gives you an excuse to start another tank, a planted SA setup!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.