The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all, new guy to the forum here. Still looking around getting used to the place.

I've been fish keeping as long as I can remember. I have a 20 gallon AIO dropoff by Innovative Marine that was originally a salt water tank with rock flower anemones. Having two salt water tanks was more than I wanted so I combined the nano into my main reef. After sitting empty a while I decided to make it into a little planted tank. Maybe I'll do a build thread if that's a thing here. I also am looking at taking it to the next level beyond a simple set up and maybe get a little techy with it. I am a Reefer and techy gadgets are kinda my thing. Here are a few pics of my setup...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Newbie? You've been a member since 2018! But welcome aboard.

Definitely start a build thread in the Tank Journals section so we can follow along.
Yeah, I think I remember signing up but obviously never posted anything. I'm really enjoying this little tank and want to get a little more involved with it. I'd like some better substrate than just rock, and I think I want to play with some simple CO2.... thats why I finally jumped in the forum.

Super Moderator
Yeah, I think I remember signing up but obviously never posted anything. I'm really enjoying this little tank and want to get a little more involved with it. I'd like some better substrate than just rock, and I think I want to play with some simple CO2.... thats why I finally jumped in the forum.
Those stepped/drop-off IM tanks make for stunning freshwater setups. Allows you to use normally shorter plants as backgrounders in a way that's difficult in standard tanks without huge mounds of substrate or constant effort.

Have you come up with any ideas for an aquascape yet? If you switch substrates, you can use the existing gravel to start a new little tank (this side of the hobby is just like reefing - we'll peer pressure you into starting additional tanks for no reason) for shrimp or something you may not be able to keep in that one. Or, if you wanted to mound up an area or two to create slopes, it'd be easy to use the existing gravel in some media bags. That way you get to keep all the existing beneficial bacteria. Tons of options.

Two different levels means you could also keep a big group of tiny bottom dwellers like Corydoras habrosus and have tons more opportunities to see them.

What kinda cool leftover tech do you have that could be repurposed for freshwater? Dosers? ATOs? Fancy testing equipment?

This kind of new start is exciting for us tank nerds. So hurry up and get a journal together.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those stepped/drop-off IM tanks make for stunning freshwater setups. Allows you to use normally shorter plants as backgrounders in a way that's difficult in standard tanks without huge mounds of substrate or constant effort.

Have you come up with any ideas for an aquascape yet? If you switch substrates, you can use the existing gravel to start a new little tank (this side of the hobby is just like reefing - we'll peer pressure you into starting additional tanks for no reason) for shrimp or something you may not be able to keep in that one. Or, if you wanted to mound up an area or two to create slopes, it'd be easy to use the existing gravel in some media bags. That way you get to keep all the existing beneficial bacteria. Tons of options.

Two different levels means you could also keep a big group of tiny bottom dwellers like Corydoras habrosus and have tons more opportunities to see them.

What kinda cool leftover tech do you have that could be repurposed for freshwater? Dosers? ATOs? Fancy testing equipment?

This kind of new start is exciting for us tank nerds. So hurry up and get a journal together.
I have a GHL P4 on my Red Sea Reefer 250 I just tore down and completely re-did and I'll be going with the GHL doses and their KH director and the new Ion director over there. So all the old dosers and stuff is free to use on this one. I have a Coralbox 4 head wifi doser completely free I can use. I was using an Auto Aqua micro ATO with RODI water for top off, but my Tunze ATO pump died on the reef so until I get a new one I'm hand topping off. Also, I'm actually running a Nanobox Duo(made for reefs) on it now with the whites turned way up and the blues about mid way. It's growing the java fern and anubias like crazy and I have zero algae growth so I guess it's fine. It's got white(cool and warm), royal blue, aqua and UV LEDs.

Super Moderator
Oooh, that ProfiLux 4 is gonna be really useful. Tons of nerding out. pH, temp, conductivity (is there a TDS module you can use? I don't recall off hand) and kH monitoring will be great - especially for sensitive species if you ever get into freshwater dwarf shrimp. If you're using decent tap water or a good remineralizer for RO/DI water, though, I bet you'll never use the kH director for more than monitoring. Still a killer tool that I wish weren't so expensive.

Topping off in freshwater is waaaay easier than marine, so it's more about convenience on this side. Since you don't have to concern yourself with salinity, you can just chuck in a half gallon of RO here or there with little worry.

Can't wait to see how you put all the gadgetry into play.

Edit: Seeing your tank makes me want to order this kit for a new shrimp setup. Nuvo Fusion 10. So tempting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.