The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a very knowledgable LFS Employee who walked me through set-up and stuff. Im getting a 10g for Xmas and was wondering about your guys opinion. after cycling I plan on putting in 2 or 3 guppies and slowly and a couple more. Then some CPDs. (Probably three at a time) Then after its going well some anchor catfish/asian stone catfish. Then once it really gets going some shrimp and maybe a snail. Is this seem right. (4-5 guppies, 6 CPDs, 3asian stone cats)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay males only. Im not sure on plants i think Anubias and crypts maybe on the crypts though. Any suggestions?

I don’t know much about the plants I’ve spent plenty of time reading about the fish but not enough about the plants.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
316 Posts
You seem to be stocking quite well. I would do 1 male guppy and 3 females as the cpds and catfish will eat some of the fry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm okay. Thanks any suggestions on plants. Found the list I had for plants, anubias, crypts, dwarf sag, and amazon swords seem good?

·
Registered
67 Posts
That sword will get bigger than you’ll probably want for a 10 gallon. Crypts are good. You might try hygro difformis (aka water wisteria). It’s pretty and easy and can be trimmed if it gets too big.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks. I was looking at water wisteria and it looks good. Water parameters?

Oh and what are the best carpeting plants?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh and what are the best carpeting plants?
Guppies honestly aren’t the best beginner fish. They suffer from a lot of ailments from poor breeding and need hard water to thrive. Also if you get a male and females they will breed like rabbits and overpopulate your 10g even with the other fish picking at some fry. If you go with males only, less than 5 can lead to one or two being bullied to death. I’d recommend 4 pure male Endlers instead, they’re cousins to guppies a bit smaller and they’re decently hardier.

Good beginner carpeting plants are micro sword, dwarf sag, s. Repens, and crypt parva.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have hard water so thats not a problem. I plan on getting 5 or so. That said I’ll look at endlers. Thanks for the plants.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You could also try a centerpiece fish with some of the schooling fish, one of my favorites is the honey gourami, my profile picture :) You can get them as the regular type or as a red flame honey gourami. they are very peaceful and fun to watch. It would also be cool to try out a dwarf cichlid, if you get a ram cichlid, make sure that the temperature is 80-82, I have had a pair die when I had the temperature set a 76-78.

·
Registered
Gourami in a 10 gallon tank
2 Posts
@gourami12 Can you please tell me do dwarf gourami have more complicated water requirements? It says here that generally gourami are hardy fish but dwarf gourami need special care ( Gourami care - Complete guide) Can you tell it from your experience?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have found that they are not that specific with water parameters. If you buy the fish from a local pet store that has been there for a few weeks it will already be used to their water parameters, which are probably very close to yours. If you can find a frozen fish food such as bloodworms or brine shrimp, I have found that it accelerates their growth and gives them more color. I have also found that with gouramis and other centerpiece fish such as bettas, it really depends on the fish, not just the species, I mean every induvidual fish, some are agressive and some are very peaceful. The dwarf gourami would probably eat the guppy fry. If you want to find another type of gourami try to go to a local pet/aquarium store. I have kept a honey gourami in a 10 gallon with some other fish without testing the water at all, I know it is recomended to test the water, but if you keep up with water changes and maybe get a clean up crew you should be fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I did think about that, however the rams are a no. My water is 72 and plan to keep it that way. I switched it up the and got 3 male tiger Endlers livebearers (in the tank and doing good), ordered 3 male french Blue star endlers from aquatic arts with 15 shrimp and a mystery snail, my LFS might be trying to get CDPs for me and if not will order them online but will take a while. As well as the stone cats do you think I could get away with an ADF later on? Can give you water parameters.

The blue star Endlers shrimp and snail will probably be here some time next week

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Grass Aquatic plant

that moss in the bottom left is gone and will be putting in some coral moss instead

Would it be okay to put the shrimp snail and 3 blue Endlers in all at once or should i stagger it s few days?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks I was going to put them in someone’s else tank for a few days but she didnt not like that. Glad I can do it all at once. will probably Arrive while I’m not home Ugh not good

Any thoughts an scaping? Or the frogs.

Get a pre filter sponge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts