The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the rams YESTERDAY. Local Pj's pets. They have alot of blue rams and a few goldens.

These two I picked out I am almost sure one is female and one is male. The moment they went to the tank together after acclimating they been together 90% of the time. Today aftr watching them for about 20 min I noticed both of them are doing some weird things.

Picking up substrate with their mouths and wiggling their bodies in the substrate. The been moving to a couple spots in the tank and doing this. The female has a nice pink belly.

The male seems to be doing more of this then she does. but could it be eggs already?!? the water ph is good at 6.6ish and temps are spot on. maybe just maybe i am very lucky to see this happen so soon.

I was surprised how well they pair and so quickly. In the store they were all scattered, so I have no idea.

let me know what you guys think.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
They are getting ready to breed. As soon as a pit is dug eggs will soon appear.

They could have already been paired at the store and getting ready to breed there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
yes they are digging a pit to lay eggs, this is what they do if they don't like any of the other places in your tank like a rock or broad leaf plant.

917 Posts
I bought two GBRs from Petsmart on Monday and within 12 hours they laid eggs. They made a pit in the sand. The female was really obviously bloated with eggs. If the female of yours is bloated, they're likely going to breed soon, I'd assume.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats really cool,

Thanks guys, I am excited. I would assume they won't survive long. They probably eat their eggs?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats alright. I am not in the position to raise babies at this moment.

I am noticing now that the male seems to be making the nesting area. is this normal?!

the female is doing some more twitchy type movements when playing with the substrate. very spastic.

so cool to watch them :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts