The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the store the other day, I work as a cell phone repair tech, and I went out to the garage to have a cigarette because it was raining pretty hard outside. So I'm just looking through all the junk left over from years of storage, old cell phones, paint, boxes of accessories by the hundred... so much stuff. So I happen to notice this acrylic cube display case. :icon_twis I look at it and think, since I have MTS, wow.... that would make a great addition to the other 4 tanks... err 5 now... that I have set up. I grab it and bring it home today, but I'm kinda bummed at the thin material used and the 2" hole in the bottom. But let not the possibility of a leak deter me! I have skills with acrylic! First things first I wanted to know if it was even worth fixing so I taped the hole shut from both sides and decided that 3am was a goot time to leak test the seams of the display case. Hey, I've had a few beers, why not right? :hihi:

I was pleasantly surprised that my makeshift patch job did the trick well enough to get a good test done for leaks and deflection of the side walls. Granted with the thin material used I expected the sides to defleft a good amount, but its not that bad really, probably only 1.25" of deflection. Oh I should mention the size of this thing. Its 16x16x16, roughly figuring out to 17.75 gallons. Not bad for a free acrylic cube. So I have decided that I will patch the hole in the bottom and add to the fish tank collection. But this is not the limit of my ghetto-ness with this tank. I have decided that I will spend as little as possible on it since, well, I'm poor for the time being. I am going to make my own cannister filter for this setup. I just need a container of some sort. My ultimate plan for this will either be a shrimp breeder tank or maybe even a crab/crayfish tank. I want to do an open top setup, I think they're cool. Now for some free wood to make a ghetto stand.

And for any interested, here is a picture of my Display case full of water. I hope this turns out well in the end for me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no Duct tape! But you better believe it was my tape of choice. :) Necessity is the mother of invention... or new levels of ghettoness. I searched the apartment 3 times over to find that roll of tape. Finally found it on the dresser... which was weird since I don't remember putting it in the bedroom to begin with. haha

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey, I know it looks cool and you feel good thinking you made off with a free "tank", but I just wanted to tell you that after my experience, I would be weary in going the cheap route or half-assed...
I had several 1G glass nanos sitting on a wire frame shelf "temporarily"
That temporarily turned into a year. Finally, it gave in and collapsed and the nanos came crashing down, fish out of water.
All my fish survived, luckily because they are bettas and labyrinth fish, so they were able to breath while out of water. Though, I had gallons of water in my carpet and I was bleeding from broken glass and screaming, frantically trying to FIND my fish in the carpet....
I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I would not recommend you use that container, seeing that it is bowing.

If you MUST make use of that plastic, I would suggest a tank lid or dividers, but I wouldn't use it as a tank.

In doing so, you are putting your fish at risk.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I remember you!! You were looking for a 18"cube!! How is that going????

I am confused, you say you work at a cellphone place and then in the other Thread you say you photograph Outerspace!?!??!?!

COOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember you!! You were looking for a 18"cube!! How is that going????

I am confused, you say you work at a cellphone place and then in the other Thread you say you photograph Outerspace!?!??!?!

COOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Yah, I don't like my job. No secret there. I get the joy from life through my hobbies. Currently I am doing the fish keeping thing, soon I'll focus more on my Camaro, then I'll try to throw in some astroimaging if I ever have time. I am a jack of all trades, but a master of just a few. ;)

About the 18" cube... the 16" cube is close enough. :bounce:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ugh I hear ya...!!! I am at work right now:icon_mad: :icon_mad: Try working with Family :icon_lol: The car stuff can get expensive... I got a Civic I am workin on :rolleyes: haha Keep taking the photos of Space--- it is AMAZING. I once thought I saw a UFO and tore my room up to look for these pair of binoculars that my Dad gave me for Christmas, years ago... I finally used them... I was just looking at the Moon.... it's great.... I was imagining how much better it would be if I had a telescope :eek:

Maaan... I don't know about your cube!!! Is it gonna hold up?!?!? So is it, like, 24 Gallons or what??!?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.