The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I just want to verify that I was correct in selecting a male and female...

Male...

Female...

Didn't notice this or think it'd be such a huge problem until I started acclimating, but is that an ovipositor on the female or a randomly extended anus or what? She is slightly bloated, as you can see in the picture. I was thinking worm but there's nothing coming out of her and that anus or whatever it is isn't "fuzzy"... It looks just like it should but IDK why it is extended.

If it is worms, I have a full unopened bottle of Prazi.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Those two were hanging near each other in the tank at Petsmart and the had obvious differences, plus they were the largest of all the blue rams in the tank by far. Perhaps they were paired, don't know. They're hanging near each other still even after acclimation and introduction to the tank.

Do you think they'll serve the purpose of eating newly born guppy fry that don't hide well, or should I just unblock the filter intakes? XD

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The last one is a female. Perfectly healthy. That's just her egg laying tube. Shes full of eggs and ready to go. Shes showing off her breeding colors

The top one appears to be a male. I wouldn't be surprised if they spawned for you soon.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last one is a female. Perfectly healthy. That's just her egg laying tube. Shes full of eggs and ready to go. Shes showing off her breeding colors

The top one appears to be a male. I wouldn't be surprised if they spawned for you soon.
... o.o

Did I interrupt them in their process or something by buying them lol? I mean like these are Petsmart fish, I thought they had to be paired and such. They aren't like a proven pair, they just seemed that way, and this one was really colorful so I thought I'd get it.

The other fish in the tank are two dwarf puffers, some guppy-endlers and 9 neon tetras... The puffers are really shy and only pay attention to each other. Is it likely the eggs would be eaten? If they don't get eaten by anything including the parents, how hard would it be to raise the babies?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
... o.o

Did I interrupt them in their process or something by buying them lol? I mean like these are Petsmart fish, I thought they had to be paired and such. They aren't like a proven pair, they just seemed that way, and this one was really colorful so I thought I'd get it.

The other fish in the tank are two dwarf puffers, some guppy-endlers and 9 neon tetras... The puffers are really shy and only pay attention to each other. Is it likely the eggs would be eaten? If they don't get eaten by anything including the parents, how hard would it be to raise the babies?
My puffers and neons don't bug my rams.

Unless you have just rams it's unlikely the babies will live.

Mah mah they will be fine you didn't inturuppt them at all

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Her ovipositer thing is still down. I noticed they made a large crater in the sand last night too. I saw her poop out of it too... IDK fish anatomy.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Wow, sorry for doubting you... :confused1:

They laid them on the back wall in a corner, the image above got rotated. I think they're still laying them, and I see that both the male and female have their little tube thingies out.

1. How can I tell if they're fertilized?
2. Is it likely they'll spawn again? If so, when?
3. If I moved them to my new tank after it cycles, will they continue laying?

Also, is there any way I could put a tile back there for their next spawn and remove it if they lay eggs on it, then rear the fry in a net or something? I was never able to raise baby clownfish when mine laid eggs, so I'd love to raise some of these guys from eggs. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
the fertilized eggs will stay a bit transparent, the ones that turns white are no good :p

They'll spawn again range from 1 week to 2 week time, depends on how comfortable they are in the new home

If they paired up, yes. Paired up rams will always be together.

Best of luck :)

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They haven't been eaten, still being guarded, but definitely not transparent eggs.

If I had a tank with just the two rams, could I rear the fry in the tank with the parents?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
They haven't been eaten, still being guarded, but definitely not transparent eggs.

If I had a tank with just the two rams, could I rear the fry in the tank with the parents?

You would need a lot of little live foods to feed them. If they are in a heavily planted tank with natural occurring microorganisms it's possible, but it's better to have a culture to feed from

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kinda over-Flourished two days ago and I have tons of algae. Nothing uncontrollable. Would it be bad to do a water change while the eggs develop? I think the rams are hungry, they're picking at the madagascar lace -- I just don't want to add more nutrients.

You would need a lot of little live foods to feed them. If they are in a heavily planted tank with natural occurring microorganisms it's possible, but it's better to have a culture to feed from
It's likely that is true in the tank they're in... Where the eggs are in the back, there's a ton of decayed plant matter from old plants (naturally decomposing plants)... It's the thickest jungle ever back there. I probably need to cut some stuff back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts