The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a conundrum.

In my 85 gallon outdoor stock tank, pond, with White Clouds and Rosy Barbs, the fish have been spawning.

I've been pulling out the free-swimmer larvae to a grow out tank, mostly to keep the Rosy Barbs from vacuuming most of the youngsters up. I do feed the adult fish frequently.

What I'm wanting to know, from anyone who's had their Rosys spawn, are their young similarly sized and colored to White Cloud larvae of the same age?

I'm getting some rather pale looking babies in the group that otherwise act and swim just like WCM baby fish. WCM youngsters all have quite a bit of pigmentation when free-swimming, even when recently hatched, so I either have a new color 'sport' of WCM fish, or these are Rosy barb fry, I'd assume they'd be a bit bigger.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Can you get some decent photos?
Not from the side. as they're in a shallow, tranluscent Tupperware container of about 1.6 gallons. I'll try and get an overhead view, my camera is a bit picky about focusing on next to nothing.

Best I can do with what little macro power this obsolete camera can muster.

I've circled the suspected Rosy Barb fry. they're vigorous swimmers.

Lower image gives a baseline for a slightly older White Cloud.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
White clouds will have that iridescent stripe even when they are young fry (similar to neon tetras with a bit of red reflecting in the stripe)
Yes I'm aware of that, they also, before that full length stripe appears, start to get a bit of electric blue color in their eyes and upper edge of their swim bladder, before it becomes more prominent along their side. I'm finding an anomaly with the pale colored ones, as most really young White clouds are pretty dark, compared to other newly free-swimming fish, at this stage.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That water is too clean, dump half of it and refill with green water.
Au Contraire,

Look at the tatty leaves on the Water sprite, micro-organism tower blocks.

The fish have been spending a lot of time in there eating stuff, but I do have a source of green water also.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Even the water from the pond will do.
It is the most useful advice I can give to people raising fry from eggs (unless it is something like discus)
Just make sure there are no large critters in there. I have been raising a batch of zebrafish, split into two tanks, one with green water, ther other gets about a 3rd greenwater and an assortment of dried BBS, deshelled artemia, and first bites. The greenwater tank fish are about 3 times the size of the fed fish. I might give them some first bites if their infusoria starts running out and it is early morning or late in the evening, so I don't have to dump cold water in the tank. I can tell when the food runs out, as the fry start sparring instead of eating. The moment you put new green water in, they just eat, paying each other no attention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.