The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 20 cardinal tetra and 7 harlequin rasbora that I bought over the weekend. It has been almost 48 hours since I added them to the tank and they are not eating.

I have tried feeding them presoaked flakes with and without the filter on and they simply swim up to the food, decide they don't like it and swim away.I am using the plain omega one flake food from Petsmart; the guppies love it.

I also have shrimplets in the tank and they are leaving them alone as well.

It does not seem to be an issue of floating vs sinking so I doubt pellets would make a difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Would just wait a couple day's ad try and offer some food again.
Is a lot of fish to add at one time= ammonia, and depending on volume of water,,I might also keep an eye on ammonia level's and perform water changes if ammonia read's anything but zero.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just keep offering what you plan to feed them. They will eventually eat. I had a female apisto reject pellets for over a month. She would only eat on the days I fed frozen food, but after a month or so she started accepting the pellets. Once they learn that is what they will see they seems to accept it in my experience.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Made a 50% water change yesterday, I do this every Sunday. Hopefully that will keep the Ammonia in check. Tank has been cycled for about a month now.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Made a 50% water change yesterday, I do this every Sunday. Hopefully that will keep the Ammonia in check. Tank has been cycled for about a month now.
Yes,,keep and eye out for ammonia.
Tank may indeed be what is called cycled but bacterial colony may not be large enough to support the addition of fishes added.
Will only be enough bacteria to support the load presented by fishes BEFORE the new fish were added.
So if my tank were cycled and housing a dozen small tetra's,and I suddenly added 20 more,then bacteria would need a chance to catch up.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I don't know why but I never had this problem when using ATM colony to do my fish in cycle. Cycle was 10 day then added 15 more cardinals and 2 pearl gouramis and never say any ammonia

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's a lot of fish to throw in one sitting. They're all stressed out I bet. Give it time, they'll adjust! Never seen a fish actively go on a hunger strike without bad water or disease!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They seem to be interested in the food but decide they don't like it. They dart towards the food nibble at it and then swim off. Going to get some of the food they were bring fed at the establishment I bought them at. Got a response today and they have been fed pellets and powder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.