The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im worried about my new fish, i went to my local fishstore and bought me 20 juvenile cardinal tetras, i asked them to give me some extra water for me to fill the tank im planning to use, they accepted my request but now what i am thinking about is the cycling of the tank, the tank measurement are the following 8 inches long 20 inches tall and 18 inches deep. it hasn't been cycled before i added the fish, but i added a large filter sponge of my main tank, the ph on the tank at the moment is about 8.0.

are they going to die? though they look healthy and eating just fine

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I think that is too many for that tank but if the filter was from a cycled tank it may be OK. Do you have a filter just for that tank different from the one you put in there from the other tank ? If you do then after two weeks the new one should be cycled but you
can leave it a week longer to be sure. The tank will have a "mini cycle" when you take out the old filter. Just test the water for ammonia for the first week after you take out the old filter mostly the first three days.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thx fo your anwser, i sure hope that they don't die on me, and yes I have a new sponge filter, and as you mentioned im going to leave the filter way more than a week, i'm planning to move the fish to the main tank in about 3 or 4 weeks, just to make sure they have no diseases. i'll post a picture of my new fish tomorrow i'm quite tired right now lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Keep a close eye on them for any distress and keep an eye on the ammonia levels, as you may need to do water changes if the filter didn't have enough bacteria to handle the load from the tetras. If you can, I'd pick up some prime or other ammonia neutralizer so that you can ensure that the ammonia levels don't rise in the QT tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh rigth i'll check on the ammonia levels. now the problem i have is that the local fishstores don't sell ammonia tests, i got to get me one on amazon or something because locally i can't get them.

what do you think about water changes using my mains tank water? i change like 15% of that water every 2 or 3 days

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If it's me, I would change water 25% every other day and feed very light every other day, until it's fully cycled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts