·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have my net ready and am on my way to Tennessee........... lol :fish:

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
The TVA has done a great deal to destroy the darter populations and species in the region unfortunately. Lots of Freshwater invert species also come from that region. The small stream habits need protection in the south and Eastern USA in a huge way. The entire group is an awesome fish for cool water aquariums and plants do great at the 60-70F ranges also.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I'm in TN right now. If I find it in the creek on my property I will let you guys know :hihi: I have already found a few different fish that are really cool. I also may have found another aquatic plant. I am trying to find it again so I can take pictures of it. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
That might be a bad choice, I just looked at TWRA's 2012 fishing regs, first of all you would need to have a valid fishing license, next you have to use legal gear types, next you need to check if the stream or river you want to collect from has any special rules pertaining to capturing the said fish. Finally, if there is no management or protection in place on these darters they would fall into the category of a "Class C" bait fish, and the rules surrounding those includes:
1) they shall only be used in the water from which they were harvested
2) they shall not be possessed away from the waters from which they were harvested
3) they shall not be imported into Tennessee or exported from Tennessee by anyone
4) They shall not be sold

Oh and to sell baitfish, if they were of a class that could be sold, you would need a bait dealer license.

Also, since there are many diffrent species of darters, some of them ESA listed, and for the most part they look the same, you could easily end up selling an endangered species on the internet, which would be a very bad situation.

And Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of wild caught ornamental fish-if the proper precautions and regulations are in place-which in this case they are not-and thus collection + sale is illegal.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I think a lot of us would be satisfied if we could just see about 10,000 cool photos of them in their habitat.
You actually have a lot of the genus in KY. I use to catch them in Creeks in Lexington growing up. Plenty of them south in Daniel Boone National forest, Mammoth cave area, west over towards Pike county. Across the border in Hoosier national forest, there are many species also. Use to be common when I was a kid. They did well till the warmer summers in aquariums.

·
Super Moderator
16,051 Posts
I've actually been catching (and releasing) darters like this (not as colorful) since the 80s in Eastern Kentucky.

There are quite a few of them that live throughout the Louisville area, too. A bunch of them near the Falls of the Ohio on the Indiana side.

I really need to start paying more attention to them.

You actually have a lot of the genus in KY. I use to catch them in Creeks in Lexington growing up. Plenty of them south in Daniel Boone National forest, Mammoth cave area, west over towards Pike county. Across the border in Hoosier national forest, there are many species also. Use to be common when I was a kid. They did well till the warmer summers in aquariums.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
The TVA has done a great deal to destroy the darter populations and species in the region unfortunately. Lots of Freshwater invert species also come from that region. The small stream habits need protection in the south and Eastern USA in a huge way. The entire group is an awesome fish for cool water aquariums and plants do great at the 60-70F ranges also.
this is all true

however we are seeing pretty good protection agencies local come out and do the good work, lots of control for catcing fish here lately.. more specifically sizing. lots of work has been put into breeding studies and population control. not to mention carp hunting which is destroying habitats leftand right

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts