The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange thing going on. I bought some neon tetras a week ago. I drip acclimated them for an hour, put them in a fish net breeder, let them chill for a week, released them ...all good. Did the same to a new batch of neons that i bought from the same place. This time as soon as i released them in the net breeder, they all went to the top and floated, head pointing up! Half of them are look like they're drunk , they're pretty out of it. I checked my water for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite etc... all good. I shut the co2 off and have a powerhead and spray bar splashing the surface. I just added prime in there just in case.

Anyone have this happen before?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the time it took me to write this until now, i see all but 3 of them ( i bought a dozen) are swimming around in a school with the others. Hmmm...........

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just fish out the troublemakers and return them for an exchange. Ive had neons that do that and Ive never figured out the problem. It could be the so called 'neon tetra disease' which is depicted as the fish that wont school, kind of lone off on their own and then abruptly dies. It is said to be able to spread, so I just keep an eye on new tetras and exchange the ones that look like trouble. Most of the time they dont survive another transport and you end up returning a dead fish. I would remove them and take them back asap and pick the fish you want. When you buy a dozen fish, especially with small schoolers its hard to hand pick the fish you want, they all look the same, in a little tank and most of the time you wouldnt be able to pick a dozen out succesfully. But in the case of a few, just see where the neons that have been in the store the longest are and make your pick. I usually catch my own in stores I frequent, store employees usually dont mind.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well glad to see others have experienced this. I just stepped in the door from work and to my surprise all have made it! They are all scholling and were swiiming bottom to mid level. My inotial thought was that they weren't used to the high co2 content. Hmmmm.. Guess I won,t know for sure. Thanx for the response btw. :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I suspect CO2 was the problem. I have experienced the same thing. Once I picked up a school of corys, drip acclimated them for 2 hours, when I released them in the tank I was waiting to see a happy school of corys instead the first one went belly up in less than 30 seconds... shut off CO2 aimed powerhead at the surface for max agitation and they recovered but I am always careful now when adding new fish to a CO2 injected tank. Part of the reason for SLOWLY increasing CO2 levels over several days is to let the fish acclimate to the increase, newly added fish don't get the same luxury.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts