The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a four gallon tank I would like to stock with a fish preferably more than one but a single betta can work. I have done the betta route, and the white cloud minnow route(IMO WC minnows need a minimum of 10 gals if not more). I am thinking maybe dario dario since they don't seem to be big swimmers? Rasaboras to me need to be in a well planted 10 gallon since they are active. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There are some tiny fishes that could suit your needs. They are schooling, but since they are so small you could get a few. You can google them for pictures and water parameters:

Boraras brigittae up to 1.2"
Boraras maculatus up to 1"
Inpaichthys kerri up to 1.4"
Trigonostigma somphongsi up to 1.2"
Barbus hulstaerti up to 1.4"

Or as markopolo said, you could go with shrimp.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
If you're looking for fish instead of shrimp, my vote would also be for one of the boraras species, I personally have some boraras briggittae and they are TEENY, I have them in my 30g with some other small species, but I would be comfortable putting at least 10 of them in a 5g tank, and I think they'd still look a little lost! :hihi:

Anyway, that's my vote if you want multiple fish in the tank. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm.... shrimp or borasas it is. It is natually planted with no filter and just a 15 watt flourescent. Plant growth is decent.

·
Registered
334 Posts
are there any expensive rare small fish? im pretty much lookin for some new fish to put in 10g shrimp tank. had guppies for a year but recent petland banana plant purchase must have done something to my tank and wiped 90% of them.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Well, without a filter... Maybe you really should go with shrimp then as they represent a smaller bioload than the same number of fish.
This is true, however, don't forget to take into consideration that shrimp will multiply exponentially pretty quickly thereby creating a larger bioload than a constant number of fish.

There are some really good, quiet filters though too for small tanks. I've been using this one, on my 5g, it's listed at $15 but i bought mine for like $7 or $8 at my LFS, the azoo palm is basically the same filter, though it's listed for less. It's basically a tiny version of an aquaclear, it doesn't require filter cartridges. I really like it.

Anyway, that's my 2¢

1 - 13 of 13 Posts