The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I ordered some new fish from Dr Fosters & Smith Live Aquaria and I am so excited to get them. Below is a list of what I got.

(6) Congo Tetras....have wanted these for over a year!

(20) Rummynose Tetras...these are to increase my school I currently have

(25) Cardinal Tetras....also wanted to increase my current school

(12) Threadfin Rainbows...these are for my 15 gal tank

(6) Assorted Pencil fish...I had 2 of these and they are so fun to watch

They are being shipped today and will get them tomorrow. So excited! :bounce: This is my Christmas present to myself

·
Registered
347 Posts
A nice list!

I just got 10 Threadfins this week - shipped to California from Ohio.... and you are getting yours from California shipped to Ohio....
Oh well.

They are great fish - very small mouths. Mine settled in right away and they are pretty bold. Sadly, I got 10 males. That's great for watching them display their fins but not so good to start a colony. I didn't ask for mixed sex, hopefully you won't have the same problem. If you do, maybe you can get them here

Tropical Fish Distributors
http://www.tfdfish.com/PriceList.pdf They are really low prices - $1.50 each. Are you close to Wickliffe?

Bill

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of my favorite fish, too- can't wait to see them in your tanks!
I have wanted some ever since I saw yours! They are such beautiful fish and can't wait!
Very cool. I hope they ship well and you don't have any issues!
Me too! I have bought fish froom them before and their packaging is great and I am sure things will go well. My only concern is for the cardinal tetras because of them being so sensitive.

A nice list!

I just got 10 Threadfins this week - shipped to California from Ohio.... and you are getting yours from California shipped to Ohio....
Oh well.

They are great fish - very small mouths. Mine settled in right away and they are pretty bold. Sadly, I got 10 males. That's great for watching them display their fins but not so good to start a colony. I didn't ask for mixed sex, hopefully you won't have the same problem. If you do, maybe you can get them here

Tropical Fish Distributors
http://www.tfdfish.com/PriceList.pdf They are really low prices - $1.50 each. Are you close to Wickliffe?

Bill
I have wanted the Threadfins for awhile and hope they will be a great addition to my 15 gal. I am about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Wickliffe. I didn't even know their was a distributor up there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Laura Lee - I have used them twice.

The first time I bought embers and Oto's - they arrived in great shape. The oto's were really healthy and had round bellies. TFD also responded to emails with questions.

The second time - last week - a few folks went in on an order and we got Embers, Threadfins, P. signifers, oto's and shrimp.

The fish all came in healthy except for the oto's. They looked newly imported and in rough shape. We lost a few but the rest have rallied. The thread fins were unfortunately all male! This may be what most LFS want though and TFD is primarily a wholesale establishment.

I ordered by phone and next time I'll ask questions. I think I could found out about the oto's and asked about the Threadfins and avoided my problems. So to sum it up - great prices, and my fish have been mostly healthy. Just keep in mind that shipping is high. I overnighted both orders. The first was $40 and the last was $60. still works out to a bargain for the fish i ordered but you need to order enough to make it worth while.

Hope that helps

Bill

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Hi Laura Lee - I have used them twice.

The first time I bought embers and Oto's - they arrived in great shape. The oto's were really healthy and had round bellies. TFD also responded to emails with questions.

The second time - last week - a few folks went in on an order and we got Embers, Threadfins, P. signifers, oto's and shrimp.

The fish all came in healthy except for the oto's. They looked newly imported and in rough shape. We lost a few but the rest have rallied. The thread fins were unfortunately all male! This may be what most LFS want though and TFD is primarily a wholesale establishment.

I ordered by phone and next time I'll ask questions. I think I could found out about the oto's and asked about the Threadfins and avoided my problems. So to sum it up - great prices, and my fish have been mostly healthy. Just keep in mind that shipping is high. I overnighted both orders. The first was $40 and the last was $60. still works out to a bargain for the fish i ordered but you need to order enough to make it worth while.

Hope that helps

Bill
That's great info, thanks!!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my fish came today and I have good and bad. 1st the good....The Congos are beautiful and the threadfins are just as so and the pencilfish are great! The bad....most of my cardinals and rummynose came DOA. I contacted Dr Fosters and Smith and they are going to credit me and they will re-ship them to me for free after I see if I have any more fish die on me. My only complaint is that they packaged all 25 cardinals in one bag and all 20 rummynose in one bag. I would have at least only packaged 6-10 per bag. Other then that the packaging was great.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They didn't look like breather bags. They had them triple bagged and when I opened the cardinal and rummynose bags it reaked of dead fish.

I was kind of upset because that was 50 fish that didn't need to die if they would have been packaged right in the first place. I just thought what a waste. I would have been even more upset if I would have had to pay for shipping again but they will cover that plus more fish. Just hope they package them better next time.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I'm shocked they died. I have had someone ship me 6 3" aulonocara firefish in a 8x24 bag and I was fine. Maybe the tetras are more prone to ammo poisoning than I thought.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bill, have you ever used TDF? I looked at them a while back, but found mixed reports online when I googled... so I'm curious?
Laura
I used them once. Just couldn't pass up on the price. I should have. Ordered about 20 Panda corys. When they arrived a couple of them were already dead. There was a foul smell when I opened the bag. The remainder didn't look good at all. I was able to save 16 of them. I can't speak to their customer service. The Panda's were so cheap I didn't pursue the issue. Of course considering the price paid the price per live fish was still far cheaper than I would have paic at a lfs.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
They're a bid wholesaler. I think that because their main business is to stores and not hobbyists, the customer service might be lacking. They are on waterwolves if you want to check out what people think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts