The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to replace my magnum filter on one of my tanks. Over time the magnum has been getting to loud and I'm going to replace it with a new eheim. It's a nice planted tank with gourami's and tetra's. My concern is that I don't want to disturb it's condition... my paremeters seem to be working and all of it's inhabitants seem to be thriving. What's the procedure for replacing a filter? I've never done this on a established tank before.

Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20g.

I also have a 55g that I just set up and has been cycling for a week now. If the 55g was finished with it's cycling, I would just transfer everything over there, but that's not the case. I'm also concerned that the magnum will give out at any time now, so replacing it needs to happen now.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Are you getting an Eheim Classic 2213? Or an Ecco?

This is what I did and it seemed to work for me. I'm not sure if there's a "right" way.

1) Open up old filter, remove half the old media and put it in a pile.
2) Open up new filter, remove half the new media and put it in a pile.
3) Put half of the old media into the new filter.
4) Put half of the new media into the old filter.
5) Run both filters for at least a week or so. It'd be better with two.
6) Open up the old filter, remove the "newer" media.
7) Open up the new filter, remove the "old" media.
8) Swap so that the new filter has the "new" cycled media.

When I put the old media in the new filter (and the new media in the old filter), I put the ceramic rings in a media bag I got from my LFS so that I could take it out easily later.

It worked for me since the old media was used to quickly culture bacteria in the new filter. Then I just swapped out the old media because there was gunk all over it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an Ecco that's sitting on the kitchen counter ready to go.

I was thinking that running both of them would be the thing to do. Just wasn't sure about the media. Thanks for the info. When you did this... you had no problems, right?

·
Registered
711 Posts
My Magnum was too noisy also but I changed the impeller and now it's working flawlessly,they are great for mechanical filtration,I would not just put it out of commission yet.
if you have any media in it such as Biomax ,sponge ,just transfer it to your new filter.this will help to establish the Eheim quicker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
replaced the impeller on mine too... didn't do the job. I think it's just getting old. The foam sleeve I'll use in the new filter I think

·
Registered
295 Posts
Best thing I can recommend is try to get a copy of theApril edition of TFH and read the "From The Editor" column on page 8. He tackles this very issue but for a slightly different reason.

The solution is easy. Run them both for about 4 weeks. If the magnum gives out in that time then move the filter media then, there's no need to disturb the biofilter until absolutly necessary. In 4-6 weeks you should have an established bacteria bed in the Ecco and you will be able to take the Magnum off.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you have mature media, you could move it over to the Ecco right away, and retire the Magnum immediately. That is assuming you have mature substrate and tank. There is tons of bacteria on the substrate, plants, and glass etc. I've done this many times.

I just did it with a 90 gallon taking the media from an Eheim 2128 on an established tank to my 90 gallon that I just sterilized. And that was after a deep cleaning of the established media. Moved the fish over the next day and no problems. Zero ammonia/nitrites. Later on you can slowly swap out the new Ecco media if you want, or use it down the road on another tank.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'd just move the media too. Actually, I'm pretty lazy and would run both for several weeks, but in a 20 gallon it might be too much current. But moving the media over should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts