The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably being overly paranoid here but I wondered what other people do with new filters?

Recently bought a brand new aquaclear to add as a second filter on an established tank, and I wondered if people mostly just rinse it and add it right away, or if I should run it separately on some clean water (and maybe with the carbon?) for a few weeks to make certain no manufacturing residue is left. I'm a little worried because it produced some foam in the bucket when I ran it for a leak/motor test!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Guess it's worth being a bit more careful given that you are adding it to an established tank, rather than a new setup whereby you'll probably do several big water changes before any livestock go in. But you would assume that reputable brands wouldn't leave anything potentially harmful on their products, wouldn't you? No harm in running it for a day or two in a bucket if you are concerned, but a few weeks with carbon would seem a bit overkill. But if you're in no rush to get it in the tank and are concerned....

·
Registered
39 Posts
A common practice is to treat with H202 and water in a bucket and rinse well new intrants in a system. It will kill everything living, including good bacteria. Not that this is your case but be careful doing that on later stage of your tank.

Aquaclear, is that a HOB filter system? If so, it can easily easily be treated if you want to make sure it is free of any chemicals compound or bacteria's.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses! My feeling too was that for a reputable brand there should be no risk, but then I started thinking "well, maybe the manufacturer expects it to be an empty tank that is cycling for a few weeks before fish... and it comes with carbon that they expect you to use so maybe that would take care of any issue in those few weeks..."

Glad to hear I am just being too careful :D I'll give it another rinse out today and get it up and running!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.