The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have a 55 gal with my large axolotls in it. I HATE their filter. Yes, the filter was the old filter when my dad used it for some fish. Well the reason I hate this filter is that is not a good filter for axolotl. It creates way too much current for them. Plus, It is waterfall, and has biowheel. This filter is not suiting the tank currently. I have been deciding to switch to canister filters. Now here is what I need help deciding.

Axolotl need little to no current. Axolotl can be messy, but not as much as the goldfish are messy. Axolotl lives in lightly planted house and I am not doing CO2 injections on the tank in the forseeable future. Axolotl live in coldwater tank, does not need heater. I want to stay under 100 dollars.

What would be a good model that would fit the above statement? I really do not know too much about the canister filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FWIW, Really happy with my Fluval 305.. I have the same size tank as you, the thing is darn near silent.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
An Eheim Pro II 2128 or a FilStar XP3 should be suitable. If you want to reduce current, use the spray bar and aim the direction of the water towards the closest tank wall. This will reduce the current in the tank, but not reduce the filtration. I wouldn't suggest reducing the flow, if it's such a messy fish.

·
Registered
786 Posts
XP3. Works really good, pretty quiet, inexpensive, large media trays, comes with spraybar, adjustable outflow and even all the media. Try Big Al's or Dr Foster Smith for a good low price. I just upgraded to a XP3 a month ago and I got it for $100.93 with tax and shipping included.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think an XP3 might be more than a 55 gallon needs. An XP2 would do it too and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Me three. XP3 is way too small for a 135. I had an Eheim 2028, and AC500 and an XP3 on my 125. Recently removed the XP3 and hte AC500 and replaced it with an FX5.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have to say, I hate my XP3, my experience may be unique but it loads up really fast mechanically. It just can't contend with my 135...a smaller tank may be better but it drives me nuts!
I would have to agree that an XP3 would be too little if it was filtering a 135 by itself. I had mine on a 46 gallon and still had another filter to suppliment it. I would agree that this filter (easy maintanence) or an Eheim would do the job.

Tina

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.