The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have the basic principals down, i need to build up the bacteria in the filter medium and in the tank to deal with the waste chemicals from the fish etc.
so what i'm doing right now is i have an old fluval u4 internal filter that was sitting in the basement running with the fluval 306 that is established already in my 60g. my question how do i know when it's cycled when i have it running in an established tank. i have recently set up a 70g that i am hoping to transfer the 306 and about 3/4 of my fish to, but i dont want the fish in the 60g to go through a mini cycle or anything if i transfer it too early. it's been running for about a week already. both tanks have soil substrate and are fairly heavily planted.

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
Yes, a couple of weeks is enough to get a starter colony going.

Another option is to swap filter media around, if possible.

Put 3/4 of the cycled media in the filter that will be serving 3/4 of the fish, and the remainder in the filter that will be serving the rest of the fish.
Similarly move some of the decor around, there is a fair amount of bacteria on the driftwood, rocks, and the top layer of substrate.

Heavily planting both tanks is also really helpful. New plants will bring in some new bacteria on their leaves to boost the populations in the 2 tanks, as well as remove the ammonia etc themselves.
Of course the plants need to be growing well to do that. Good light, CO2, and the other fertilizers are important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.