The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that haven't yet seen it I figured I would share what the new profile will look like. This will be rolled out within the next week to everyone. Right now only developers have access to it and can see each other's who have enabled it.

I really like most of it so far, but some of the information they have enabled is a bit too much in my opinion for a private company to control on their personal servers... but I was at the Digital Life Academy this summer being paranoid, so most of my worries while valid are lost to the general population.

-Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
hate it. i can't stand when companies just change the layout all the time for absolutely no reason. look at youtube, the devs must literally have nothing to do all day, and so they pump out "updates" that break the site and piss everyone off.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I think they are trying to keep it fresh. Facebook has been changed so many times, and so many times, people hate it. Funny though, even though so many people get mad, they never stop using Facebook. As for me, I am excited about the update, now that I am "in the know". :bounce:

apparently they want to charge now! LOL that's going to be a fail.
Not true, I laugh at how many people post that as their status.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think they are trying to keep it fresh. Facebook has been changed so many times, and so many times, people hate it. Funny though, even though so many people get mad, they never stop using Facebook. As for me, I am excited about the update, now that I am "in the know". :bounce:

Not true, I laugh at how many people post that as their status.
lol yeah found out it was fake. i saw it while surfing the web on a blog and saw the "pricing". i actually thought it was pretty believable actually. wasn't sure why they would do that, as most people would leave, but 99 cents for basic membership actually sounds like something they would try to do. hell people buy ridiculous apps they could get for free on a computer because they "are only a dollar!".

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
So what's going on with the google's facebook killer? I forgot the name of it :)

I just got a facebook account a few months ago but it's a fake one for developing.
LOL.... i feel like I said something similar a few months back and a bunch of people laughed at me.... Facebook is THE social network to beat.

If you want to have the new profile now, you can get it in a few steps. Using the dev login.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-timeline-profile-how-to-get-it_n_976789.html

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
YAY! I feel special. I have the new facebook. :)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what's going on with the google's facebook killer? I forgot the name of it :)

I just got a facebook account a few months ago but it's a fake one for developing.
Yeah, Google+ wasn't made to keep people on it though. It was created to enhance the amount of personal data that they have to create a better profile of the user to create a more personalized experience (AKA Exploit and make money from)...

MyCube.com, if it makes it out of Beta stage might be some competition but it is hard to kill a smart group of people's software startup in the early days. They've implimented a lot of smart features to address users concerns superficially and that is all most people need.

What most people don't know is someone offered Zuck 100 Billion USD for facebook. In cash (and oil). He turned it down.

-Andrew

·
Registered
529 Posts
Facebook has been changed so many times, and so many times, people hate it. Funny though, even though so many people get mad, they never stop using Facebook.
Heh... I'm a dinosaur. I admit, I don't take to change that quickly. But this last round of changes from Facebook has driven me away. I used to log a couple times a day, but since the latest changes this past week or so, I've pretty much stayed off the site. I'll be one of the ones who will stop using Facebook.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So what's going on with the google's facebook killer?
SFSG. It went public just before FB's latest wave of changes. The number of public posts declined somewhat prior to that but private ones aren't measured.

My personal ratio of private G+ posts - I don't post publicly - to FB posts over the last month is approximately 75-1 and has virtually replaced email to friends. G+ is hands down better for my purposes.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SFSG. It went public just before FB's latest wave of changes. The number of public posts declined somewhat prior to that but private ones aren't measured.

My personal ratio of private G+ posts - I don't post publicly - to FB posts over the last month is approximately 75-1 and has virtually replaced email to friends. G+ is hands down better for my purposes.
I have one problem with G+...

I use a private google apps server so I can't enable it...

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yeah, Google+ wasn't made to keep people on it though. It was created to enhance the amount of personal data that they have to create a better profile of the user to create a more personalized experience (AKA Exploit and make money from)...
Huh? This differentiates it from FB how?

Looking at the Spotify deal and other changes rolling out soon, G+ has a long way to go to equal FB in that regard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.